Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > Showoff

Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Name: Kevin
Car: E36 M3
fuztupnz is on a distinguished road
Default E36 M3 Revitalization

On 4/29/13 I picked up a 1997 M3 Lux Coupe. It's a little rough around the edges, but is a super solid car with a lot good parts. Instead of posting all of the pics i've taken of everything that needs fixed, I'll just post before and after as I go. I started working on it last night, but before i post the pics, I'll list the mods that i know of. I'm still organizing receipts and Invoices so i'm not 100% on brand and stuffs yet.

Dinan Supercharger
Custom tune
Dinan CAI
Dinan exhaust with catless race pipe
Dinan Sway bars
Adjustable end links
Adjustable lower rear control arms.
Trailing arm and shock reinforcements.
poly bushing everywhere but RTAB's which are stock with limiters.
TCKline DA's with camber plates.
LTW flywheel
SSK
Stock Contours, Staggered 18" ASA AR1's, and Square 17x8.5 Koseis K1's

On to pics:

As it sat in my carport yesterday:

First thing first, was to fix my boost guage. It wasn't showing boost because of a crimped vacuum line. Easy fix. I may replace it down the road with one that shows vacuum and boost.

Next up was to fix up some exposed wiring in the engine bay. Not sure how it got so chewed up, but i had about 6 wires between the two looms that were completely exposed.

before:

after:

I also lowered the front end 3.5 turns since it was sitting a little high for my taste, and gave the car a much needed bath.

Here are some pics of the after. Looks pretty decent from a distance at least.

fuztupnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuztupnz For This Useful Post:
BigStribS (06-16-2013), Das Borgen (05-03-2013), The BMW Part Store (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

Name: Nunya
Car: e34, e36, e46, e90
MrBillyTalent is on a distinguished road

This will be a very interesting thread!

lulz at the plate too!
MrBillyTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
ECSTuning
Awesome

Name: James
Car: Hover Car on Wheels
ECSTuning is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the new M!

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M- F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Facebook | YouTube|OEM BMW Part Number Search
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
MattF
Awesome

Car: 96 M3
MattF is on a distinguished road

I am currently working on mine too it's a 96 lux coupe I look forward to seeing any pointers you have
MattF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Thanks guys, I'll try to remember to update the thread as i complete things. The car really just needs a lot of little stuff. It looks daunting when you first look at it, but really won't be too bad. Time and money are two things that i won't have in abundance for a while since my first born is due to make an appearance in 3 weeks. The car is totally drivable and fun as **** as it is, plus i stil have the e34 as a daily, so i'm in no rush.

MattF: I'll share as many pointers as I can. I'm notorious for jumping into projects and not taking pics or reporting progress, so if you see something that you have questions about, feel free to ask. I'll answer what i can. Good luck with your M as well.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
ninohale

Car: MKV GTI
ninohale is on a distinguished road

In as well... Jelly too. I was looking for an E36 M3 but couldn't find much for what I wanted to spend. Picked up a 98 328i today
ninohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
bmwohio
MotorsportsJunky
Super Mod

Name: Kale
Car: STX car/E39 525i
bmwohio is on a distinguished road

Looks good! ......Just from the pics, it looks like your front needs lowered to match the back, or your back needs raised to match the front. Car will drive weird until you get that fixed. You 'should have about 1/2" to 3/4" rake......it looks like you have negative rake now (could just be angle of the picture).

The E36 is so well balanced, that if you just set the ride correctly it will be about 80-90% corner balanced and ready to roll

I've been tinkering with my M for years, so if you need any help with anything, feel free to ping me. I've worked on just about every part of this car.

Coming to a Solo event near you.....

My build thread --> http://ohiobimmers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10682
bmwohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Thanks Kale,
I brought the front down about 1/2 inch already, but it doesn't really show in the pics. The fist pic, in the car port, is before, and all of the pics outside are on a horribly uneven surface. My Car Port floor is sloped as well. I need to get a little more level spot so i can measure and adjust accordingly. Since you asked about spring rates in the "what did you do..." thread, is there a quick way to tell what's on the front? ie. a part # on the spring?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
bmwohio
MotorsportsJunky
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuztupnz View Post
Thanks Kale,
I brought the front down about 1/2 inch already, but it doesn't really show in the pics. The fist pic, in the car port, is before, and all of the pics outside are on a horribly uneven surface. My Car Port floor is sloped as well. I need to get a little more level spot so i can measure and adjust accordingly. Since you asked about spring rates in the "what did you do..." thread, is there a quick way to tell what's on the front? ie. a part # on the spring?
Yes, your spring should look like this. The number you would be most concerned with is the last 3. The last 3 numbers are your spring rates. The spring below is a 500# Short (S) spring. Yours should be a short too, unless it's a 300 or 350, in which we don't make in an 'S'.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Badass, I'll have to pull a wheel and take a look. Thank you sir.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
lunker325
5acrossthechops

Name: Brian
Car: 02 M5, 96 M3
lunker325 is on a distinguished road

Very jealous! I just picked up a 96 M3 coupe, wish it had a Dinan blower on it!
lunker325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
bmwohio
MotorsportsJunky
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuztupnz View Post
Badass, I'll have to pull a wheel and take a look. Thank you sir.
You may be able to just turn the car 'hard over' to each side and look in there and see the markings(if the spring is situated with the markings facing out).

Old 05-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
Das Borgen
Off Topic King
OB Supporter

Name: Richard
Car: E36, E38, 748
Das Borgen is on a distinguished road

I have nothing bad to say and I'm posting only to subscribe to this thread and to make my presence known

also, this duck is freaking cute
Das Borgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Nice duck.

Made some progress so far this weekend.

Some ghetto sewing on the driver's seat. I'll need to pull the skin to do it right, but this is better than it was.

Found and attached the internal door handle trim Still need to clean up the leather though.

Glove Box cover missing:

Oh and just bit the bullet and bought a new boost gauge.

I also pulled my kidneys, stripped them, and resprayed them. It was too dark for pics, so i'll post some tomorrow. I might wrap the ugly ass woodgrain with some leftover vinyl from the e34 to hold me over until i buy black replacement parts.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Re-painted kidneys:

Wrapped shifter surround and glove box trim. Not my best work on the console, but the veneer is starting to peel, which made me not try super hard. I'll be replacing it eventually anyway.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Just waiting on the baby to come, so no real progress on the M3

I did finally take a look at the springs. They are 450# longs up front. I'll likely swap them out with some shorts at some point just for more adjustability. I think the front needs to come down a hair still, or i need to raise the rear, but as it sits, the fronts are only about 2-3 thread away from the very bottom. I'd rather not be at the end of the adjustability in the future.

Oh and the vinyl on the shifter surround pulled up the wood veneer and broke it where it was cracked. Looks like i'll need to just order a black surround and be done with it.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Picked up some stuff to get back to work while I'm off and on "maternity leave" next week.

400lb shorts on the way, as are new collars and spanners since mine are beat up and I'll have the fronts apart anyway.

I also picked up some dye for the rear parcel shelf and grabbed a black shifter surround at the junk yard.

I really should start working n the front bumper or the rust, but I'm having too much fun driving it to I'll it in and start major work.

I need to clean the icv this week, and go through the vacuum lines and replace old crappy looking ones. I'm still not 100% convinced that I'm leak free and jut want to double check anything. I might redo the way the boost gauge is hooked up. It's vacuum line is attached in a hard to reach place currently.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

new center console in:

ICV cleaned, and a new "T" and boost gauge line installed, as well as a few vac lines replaced. With the car running, i sprayed starter fluid everywhere to try and find vacuum leaks. No idle surges, so i'm now confident that everything is good. Cold start idle should be much better now. Before it wanted to stumble and almost die for the first 10 seconds in the morning.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Installed the 400# shorts and ended up having to do some work on the camber plates. Both were frozen in place for camber adjustments. I was able to free and clean up the driver's side, but the passenger side needed a load distribution ring, bolt plate, and a new bearing. Thanks to Kale and TC Kline's service, i got my parts next day and had everything back together quickly. I also picked up some toe plates and plan to attempt a self alignment. The car also got some Hancook V12's put on her this morning.

I was also able to get the effing weights off of the lips of the contours and all the glue off without too much headache. Luckily a friend works for TD, so they stripped all of the weights before balancing and were able to do so without weights on the lips again.

A couple of pics after cleaning it up last night with the front end a bit lower. I might play with ride height some more after some measurements when i do my alignment.

I have all of my rear glass trim on order from thebmwpartstore for the wing windows and rear. I also picked up a black rear ashtray. Slowly getting rid of the wood interior and cleaning things up. Next step after that is likely a replace/respray of the front bumper.
The Following User Says Thank You to fuztupnz For This Useful Post:
bmwohio (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
bmwohio
MotorsportsJunky
Super Mod

Car is looking good, I'm enjoying this thread. Ride height looks perfect too, glad you got the plates sorted.

The Following User Says Thank You to bmwohio For This Useful Post:
fuztupnz (06-16-2013)