Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > Showoff

Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #61
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Name: Kevin
Car: E36 M3
fuztupnz is on a distinguished road

So since i've been posting about the car again, I've done a little work in the garage. A couple weeks ago i finally built a workbench, and this weekend i decided i needed to put my beer fridge somewhere and got the bug to have a little more light. This would have been super handy to build before replacing the clutch and all of that work.

already full of stuff i need to get rid of but lights! Ghetto fabulous wiring, but easy to turn on and off and more outlets above the bench to plug things in.

BEER! Just needs moar beers in it.

fuztupnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #62
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

And it starts

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435880244.477144.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435880258.167041.jpg
Old 07-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #63
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Default E36 M3 Revitalization

Well that was fun. About 12 hours in the garage today and the super charger is rebuilt and back in the car. The m50 manifold is on, and I only have a few more things to button up tomorrow. A lot of time was wasted just figuring things out. I've eliminated my CCV since I'm going with an e39 m5 separator instead. That is taking the place of the CCV, the useless inline fuel filter, and the equally worthless bypass valve that are part of the dinan kit. Since the CCV is now gone, I didn't buy a swap kit and had to figure out how I wanted to plumb the ICV and how to mount it. Then more time was wasted looking for my vacuum tees, then going to buy more. More time was wasted getting the bearings off of the input and prop shafts of the SC. Then more time was wasted again going to get nuts and bolts for the tabs I had to make to mount the fuel rail. Thanks old bracket, you will live on holding the injectors in and the dipstick in place.

Hopefully I can get it buttoned up in the morning and not have any vacuum leaks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435978810.722717.jpg
Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #64
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Name: Rudy
Car: 2001 BMW 330i
Rudy is on a distinguished road

Gj, that's a lot of work. I just put in a day on this ****. Worst job ever. Still have 5 studs left on the back header, and it looks like I'll have to drop the front to finish them. I hate PO so much right now. Used ebay exhaust gaskets too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150703_230821.jpg (499.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #65
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

After yet another parts store run, she's back in the ground and running. Running well too. The m50 certainly makes a noticeable difference. Hopefully I'll get it on the dyno soon and see how it does. Next up is power steering lines and a new steering shaft guibo. That **** can wait for another weekend. I'm beat and want to spend time with the family.

Rudy, I think I'd rather have done all of this over exhaust studs.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #66
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

And I broke it again. I just realized i haven't posted here since the last time I "fixed" something. Started running hot last October. Basically just put it away for winter. Found out that the insides of the overflow tank had exploded, but i was worried about it being head gasket related.

Fast forward a bit and i replaced the fan shroud and overflow. Bled it and all seemed well. Drove it to Cars and Coffee last Saturday and temp started to creep up again. Bummed out i put it away again. Sunday was too nice to be inside and bitter, so I did a compression test and tested the coolant for exhaust gasses. Compression on a warm but not full temp engine netted out at 190, 190, 192, 190, 192, 190, which i'm surprised and very happy with. No exhaust gasses in the cooling system either. I bled the heck out of the system again.

Today i ordered a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and hoses. I don't feel like screwing around with a cooling issue forever like i did with the e34. I hate driving with that "what's gonna break next" feeling so i might as well just swap it all out.

Maybe i'll get to my power steering line, steering guibo, brake duct, and under panel finally too. lol
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #67
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

So more money and time spent.
The car is all buttoned up.

z3m 3 core radiator, stewart water pump
16" spall fan (so sick of dealing with the clutch fan and stupid extender nut)
another new shroud
new coolant lines
new thermostat
new fan temp switch
redid some vacuum lines
baffled oil catch can since i was still getting blow by through the e39 m5 ccv
new power steering lines and reservoir
Turner 75mm wheel studs
new NT05's for the Koseis, Hawk street/track compound pads for my first couple of DE's with the car. Not quite ready to jump to HT10, DTC60's, or PFC 08s. Also bought some new rotors to use with said pads at the track.
I didn't bother with the steering guibo as mine looks fine.
I finally put in the driver's side break duct and the SSI stealth under panel i've had for 2 years.

Maybe this year will be the year for body and paint. Running out of mechanical things to break.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:02 AM   #68
bmwohio
MotorsportsJunky
Super Mod

Name: Kale
Car: STX car/E39 525i
bmwohio is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it's coming right along Nice work

Coming to a Solo event near you.....

My build thread --> http://ohiobimmers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10682
bmwohio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bmwohio For This Useful Post:
fuztupnz (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #69
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

I forgot a couple things.

Replaced my broken X-brace with a new one.
Put a knockoff factory lip on my Lux bumper, and a regular grill to fill the gaping hole where it should be.

wonder what else i've forgotten.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #70
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

After actually driving it for most of the summer, it's time to tackle one of my big "little" things.
Oil pan gasket.
Of course, I found torn boots on the ball joints and tie rod ends. Why wouldn't I?
After some research (and helpful links from friends) I found the part numbers for the press in ball joints instead of buying new LCA's. $120 is an easier price to swallow instead of $400.

So front subframe and steering rack are out after some fighting.

Probably tackle the oil pan gasket tomorrow, then wait for the tie rods and ball joints to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #71
QtheGenius
Learning to Surf
Super Mod

Name: Jonathan
Car: 98 M3/2/5, 00 323i
QtheGenius is on a distinguished road

not bad stuff, looks like you have a good plan to attack everything. I need to replace the OFHG coming up soon.

Only buy a car that you can push
QtheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QtheGenius For This Useful Post:
fuztupnz (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #72
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Oil pan gasket and pan cleaned up, wired oil pump nut installed, and cleaned up the sub frame and got it back in.

Oil pan was clean inside. No sludge or metal shavings pickup tube looked good and sludge free as well.

Ball joints came today, so I'll get those pressed in with Rudy's help on Thursday. As long as my tie rods get here, I should have it back together Friday. So much for a relaxing stay-cation this week.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #73
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Oh more updates: Almost ready for OVR at Mid O. Actually all i have to do it put in the Schroth quick fits. That's it. Got an alignment today.

It has been a rough couple of weeks. After the oil pan gasket work, i still had oil dripping to the ground. Out came the transmission again to replace the rear main seal again. I guess i jacked it up putting it in when i did the clutch. Fun times. I did the front tranny seal, and the rear engine cover gasket at the same time. I'm sadly getting pretty efficient with pulling the transmission. I also did new fender liners. the old ones were ragged and dropped a screw, which i picked up with a tire. Tire's were getting replaced anyway.

With the oil leak fixed all i had to do was flush brake fluid and get an alignment.
That went south too. One bleeder screw was already stuck and rounded off, and another broke off. Found cheap reman calipers at Smyth, so i just replaced all four. Also not as easy as planned. Of course two of the old stainless lines broke off in the calipers, and one has smashed threads. It's friday night, and the alignment is set up for Monday. After calling around for lines and coming up empty i devised another plan Saturday. I picked up two fronts and a rear line from pull and pay on sunday, got them in, bled and went for a test drive. Yep. hardly any brake pedal. Pull it back in, start checking and find a leak from the one stainless hose i didn't replace. My ghetto fix to make it to an alignment was a failure. Appointment cancelled, new brake lines ordered. Luckily putting them in and bleeding the system went well and the car is good to go.

Alignment was done today and it feels great. Only have the quick fits to put in.

I lied. Battery died. One more kick in the nuts. I'll pick up a new one this weekend, then do the quick fits, then give it a bath.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #74
Smokey
Awesome

Name: Chris
Car: 94 Rx7, 08 9-7x Aero
Smokey is on a distinguished road

That's brutal, but it happens sometimes when trying to get older cars track ready. I'll be up at OVR so stop by if you see me (only white rx7 at the track)
fuztupnz (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #75
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
That's brutal, but it happens sometimes when trying to get older cars track ready. I'll be up at OVR so stop by if you see me (only white rx7 at the track)

I'll keep an eye out for you and say hey.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Quick Fits sorted, car cleaned up, new battery installed.

Ready. To. Go.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #76
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Now that it's been to the track, it's finally time for paint. Drove it up to NE Ohio Tuesday. Now it sits in my dad's garage so it can get the rust fixed and painted.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #77
guner_27
Newb

Name: Harish
Car: 3
guner_27 is on a distinguished road

enjoyed the posts.

I would like your opinion on FI, I just picked up a 98 m3 sedan, 179k, engine idles smooth, has decent compression numbers avg 180.

Is it a good idea to super charge it ?
is the cost per HP worth it ?
have you had any maintenance issues since the mod ?
Do you think FI lowers life of engine ?

your opinion appreciated.

Thank you.
guner_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:25 PM   #78
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

I enjoy the the super charger. Mine is pretty linear and the power increase is noticeable, but not dramatic. Mine only makes about 6lbs of boost. I don't have dyno numbers but my guess is maybe 280ish at the wheels.

I bought the car with the SC kit on it. I'm the 3rd owner and the car was basically a full dinan car straight from the dealership. I have 140k on mine and had 190-193 compression on all 6 last winter or about 3k miles ago. Bigger boost levels could certainly shorten engine life, but a good MLS head gasket, head studs, and an upgraded cooling system should keep that in check. The stock bottom end can handle a lot of abuse, so it's not really a concern.

I wouldn't call it trouble free, but it has been pretty easy (one of the few things that hasn't been a headache at some point). A lot of people hate on the early dinan powerdyne units like i have, but it has it benefits too. Since it's internally belt driven it's known to fail. If you don't mind rebuilding it yourself it's easily overcome. I think i paid about $200 for new bearings and a belt when i did it last year. The previous owner had it rebuilt for him and had it replaced once in the 10 years he owned the car. The benefits are that it's air cooled so it doesn't need any oil lines, and it runs off of it's own belt instead of the serpentine belt. Its a pretty simple setup. If you want more boost out of it though, you run greater risk of bearing and internal belt failure. I'm happy with the power output and it's more than enough for my skill level at the track.

I got rid of all of the stuff that makes it carb legal when i rebuilt it and did an m50 mani swap, which got rid of a couple failure points. Mainly the vacuum valve for the ccv/crank case vent that is prone to failure. It has been pretty much trouble free.

If you're patient you can pick up a complete kit for less than $3k (depending on the kit), so it can be a good mod for the money. Some of the kits out there using other super chargers are far more capable of more power. Since it was already on the car, it was a great mod to have for the money i paid for the car. lol

If/when it's time to refresh the engine, I will definitely keep the SC on it. I've worked through a lot of ghosts and gremlins that came with the car, so i can't say it has been easy, but I can say it has been worth it.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #79
guner_27
Newb

Name: Harish
Car: 3
guner_27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuztupnz View Post
I enjoy the the super charger. Mine is pretty linear and the power increase is noticeable, but not dramatic. Mine only makes about 6lbs of boost. I don't have dyno numbers but my guess is maybe 280ish at the wheels.

I bought the car with the SC kit on it. I'm the 3rd owner and the car was basically a full dinan car straight from the dealership. I have 140k on mine and had 190-193 compression on all 6 last winter or about 3k miles ago. Bigger boost levels could certainly shorten engine life, but a good MLS head gasket, head studs, and an upgraded cooling system should keep that in check. The stock bottom end can handle a lot of abuse, so it's not really a concern.

I wouldn't call it trouble free, but it has been pretty easy (one of the few things that hasn't been a headache at some point). A lot of people hate on the early dinan powerdyne units like i have, but it has it benefits too. Since it's internally belt driven it's known to fail. If you don't mind rebuilding it yourself it's easily overcome. I think i paid about $200 for new bearings and a belt when i did it last year. The previous owner had it rebuilt for him and had it replaced once in the 10 years he owned the car. The benefits are that it's air cooled so it doesn't need any oil lines, and it runs off of it's own belt instead of the serpentine belt. Its a pretty simple setup. If you want more boost out of it though, you run greater risk of bearing and internal belt failure. I'm happy with the power output and it's more than enough for my skill level at the track.

I got rid of all of the stuff that makes it carb legal when i rebuilt it and did an m50 mani swap, which got rid of a couple failure points. Mainly the vacuum valve for the ccv/crank case vent that is prone to failure. It has been pretty much trouble free.

If you're patient you can pick up a complete kit for less than $3k (depending on the kit), so it can be a good mod for the money. Some of the kits out there using other super chargers are far more capable of more power. Since it was already on the car, it was a great mod to have for the money i paid for the car. lol

If/when it's time to refresh the engine, I will definitely keep the SC on it. I've worked through a lot of ghosts and gremlins that came with the car, so i can't say it has been easy, but I can say it has been worth it.
Thanks for the info, lol yea ofcourse when you buy a car such as this, you sign up for everything that comes along with it..... i see them as good problems lol.

Have you worked with the euro headlights ?
guner_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #80
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Nah. No euro lights for me. I've thought about it because they look good, but never pulled the trigger.