Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > Showoff

Old 06-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Hoonter
Srs bsns

Name: Hunter
Car: M3, 740i
Hoonter is on a distinguished road

i love this thread. Youre making me very jealous... matter of fact i think im gonna go work on mine right now
Hoonter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoonter For This Useful Post:
fuztupnz (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
Das Borgen
Off Topic King
OB Supporter

Name: Richard
Car: E36, E38, 748
Das Borgen is on a distinguished road

not bad

But why do we bother doing anything that's pointless. What would Leonardo Da Vinci have done if a management consultant forced him to run a P&L on the Mona Lisa? He'd stab the son of a bitch in the eye with a charcoal pencil. Then he'd go invent the helicopter.
Das Borgen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Das Borgen For This Useful Post:
fuztupnz (06-16-2013), MadmaxE36 (05-15-2015)
Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

Name: Ben
Car: 13 Kia Optima; 997TT
Bmil951 is on a distinguished road

Love what I'm seeing so far! I'm jealous of your Dinan supercharger. I'd say I'd like a ride to experience the difference the blower makes, but then I'd only want one for my M3 even more haha
Bmil951 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bmil951 For This Useful Post:
fuztupnz (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #24
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Name: Kevin
Car: E36 M3
fuztupnz is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, the car has great bones, but I keep running into things that make me scratch my head. Lol.

Progress is slow, but it's turned into my daily driver while I have the wife's Freelander torn apart with bent valves and juggling the schedule around my newborn daughter. It's hard to tear myself away from the baby to hit the garage.

Bmil: I'd be happy to take you for a spin. I'm sure we'll end up at the same place at the same time eventually.
fuztupnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fuztupnz For This Useful Post:
Bmil951 (06-17-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #25
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

A little more progress. I bought some Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint a while ago to do the rear parcel shelf and finally got around to pulling it and spraying it. Results look pretty decent really. The fabric gets stiff, and loses its soft, brushed look, but it still looks like fabric and came out nice and black. I was worried that it would look plastic and painted, but it isn't. After a few days, it might loosen up and feel better if I run my hand across it. I wouldn't use it if you're looking for perfection, but for this, i'm happy with the results. The car will eventually have a roll bar anyway.

before:

after:

I also picked up a black rear ashtray cheap. One less ugly piece of wood grain...it a small win, but a win none the less. lol

Once i'm done screwing with stuff, I plan to clean the **** out of the interior. Since i keep taking things apart, there isn't much point right now.

I received my seals from Adam yesterday or the day before. Super fast as always. I would have picked them up myself, but my hours are the same as theirs, so it's difficult to get there when they're open. Those will get put on soon. Hopefully I can get the land rover back together this weekend so i can have my e34 back to daily. It makes it easier to work on a car when it doesn't have to be put back together right away.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Not a whole lot to report lately. Been to busy getting the wife's Freelander back together. I still have the window seals to put on, and it needs a vanos rebuild. Unfortunately that's on the back burner while I recover from the cost of a baby and fixing that **** Land Rover. It still has tons of top end because of the SC, so it's still fun.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

So a little work happened this weekend. Driver's side window motor took a ****, so i picked up another at U Pull and Pay, and had at it. While i was at it, i re-glued all of the door panel attachments (because the all fell off of course) and wrapped the handles in CF vinyl since the wood is ugly and was cracking. Almost have it all hidden or gone now I also used the same Gorilla Glue 2 part Epoxy from the door panels to close up the leading edge of the glove box door. After re-gluing the skin, the top 1/2 inch was still pulling away. Not anymore.

After that, i scrubbed the **** out of the interior, dressed everything and conditioned the leather. It wasn't terrible, but i hadn't scrubbed it well since i picked it up.

Pics

Old 08-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #28
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

A pic just cause. Koseis on so I can thoroughly clean the contours.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

Name: Ben
Car: 13 Kia Optima; 997TT
Bmil951 is on a distinguished road

Looks great with those wheels!
Bmil951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #30
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

I haven't done a damn thing with the car except getting it out and driving it lately. Getting used to the new family member's hit on the wallet I guess.

Got bored at work and hadn't done an illustration in a while:

Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Started to tackle my Vanos tonight. I decided to just rebuild it myself with stuff from Beisan. I got everything off and out of the way, just waiting on my cam tools to arrive tomorrow to pull the unit itself. The fan is a bitch to get off with the supercharger stuff in there. I'll try to get some in progress pics tomorrow. I usually don't touch my phone or camera with dirty hands though, so I rarely take a break to snap a pic.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #32
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Well, I didn't take any pics, but the car is back together and running. Running very well to be exact. A quick roll on the gas in first but not a romp brings on wheel spin and traction control. It now has throttle response at all rpm, and doesn't big first below 4k. It's a whole new animal now.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #33
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

some more stuff tackled.

I sanded and painted my good ole' ugly wood veneer shift knob a nice glossy black, and replaced the wood e-brake handle with a leather one I got on ebay for $12.

The painted knob is pretty much just temporary until i decide which overpriced shift knob i want to put on.

I don't like leather knobs. The ZHP is too short, especially with at ssk. Aluminum, stainless, and titanium all burn the **** out of your hands after sitting in the sun (which i've learned the hardway). I'm thinking delrin, but they are way over priced. Choices are slim too. The Jaffster looks like a dildo and the sneed speed/billy club one looks like a billy club. Macht Schnell MS97 looks promising, but it's pretty pricey as well.

I'm tempted to just get one from a car with a smaller/threading shift lever and have it machined to size with a set screw machined in. corvette, evo, mazda, honda, nissan, etc all have super cheap options compared to ours. Thoughts?

I also have some cleaner OEM headlights to put in that actually have working adjusters so i'll be able to aim them and see at night.

I'm also in the process of a ghetto "touch up the worst parts" on the front bumper. the big grey spots were getting to me and my buddy guilted me into it. It won't be great looking, but it will work until i start to repair, or replace the bumper, as well as start in on body work.

pics:

Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #34
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

I forgot to mention that i have new bushings to put in my rear shock mounts thanks to Kale. Maybe this weekend or next i'll tear the rear apart to put them in.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
bmwohio
MotorsportsJunky
Super Mod

Name: Kale
Car: STX car/E39 525i
bmwohio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuztupnz View Post
I forgot to mention that i have new bushings to put in my rear shock mounts thanks to Kale. Maybe this weekend or next i'll tear the rear apart to put them in.
Hey, I just process the orders here

Happy to help as usual. Let me know when you want to give that baby a shakedown, as I would love to be apart of that.

We have one event left on October 16th if you want to come out. It will be a VERY relaxed fun event at National Trails.

Coming to a Solo event near you.....

My build thread --> http://ohiobimmers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10682
bmwohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #36
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Sounds fun, but i'm low on vacation time and NT is about a 2 hour drive for me I might try to catch a local Autox before the end of the year though. If all goes well, it's real shake down will be at Putnam or Mid Ohio next spring/summer.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #37
1MM5

Name: Glenn
Car: VO 1M, F10 M5
1MM5 is on a distinguished road

Nice job on the shift knob.
You seem to have a real talent for knob polishing
Old 09-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #38
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Way to hit that one out of the park.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #39
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

No new pictures, but i've picked up a few things. Picked up a Corbeau FX1 for super cheap that will go in at some point when i have the funds to but a second one, a roll bar, and harnesses.

The previous owner unearthed the schroth quick fit harnesses he had for the car and gave them to me a couple weeks ago as well. Score They should get me through next season if i don't have seats and a bar in first.

I bought a 90º silicone elbow and eliminated the ASC over the weekend. While being lazy and not wanting to take the car apart to measure, i looked for the Dinan SC install instruction in hope of finding pipe and tb diameters. I found them and found the section on drive belt tension interesting. Sure enough mine wasn't as tight as it should be, and now that it is, it makes the 5-6 lbs of boost that it's supposed to. It's always read around 3-4, but i just couldn't seem to find anything that was a cause. My original plan was to pull the SC and rebuild it over the winter. Now i won't have to. Because of the belt not having enough tension, it was slipping at higher rpm and robbing me of boost. Not an issue any more. The 2 lbs of boost that i was missing makes a huge difference.

So it seems that I now have the car mechanically sorted. Time for cosmetics. Those will likely wait until spring. Once it gets warm enough then, i'll start on the rust and a re-spray.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #40
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Washed and waxed. Should have been done in November and put away for winter, but life happened. I hope we get more spring weather soon.