David1
Awesome

Name: David
Car: M2
David1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBillyTalent View Post
Haha 'raped ape.' Well played.

Once I get a better feel for the car and dig back out the usb cord to update to the new firmware, I'm going e85. That was one of the bigger salepoints for me on this car. Do you just leave it in map 5? Have you updated to the new map 5?
I am on 5-23 and use maps 2 and 5
2009 335i Coupe - Sold - LBM - Black Dakota/Glacier aluminum-6spd|Nav|M-Sport|Premium|Logic7|Heated Seats|CA|BMW Performance Suspension & M3 Control Arms|Subframe Inserts|M3 lip spoiler|Rennart Exhaust|AFE DCI|JB5 iso w/flash|
2014 Jeep GC Overland - Sold
2009 X5 3.0 - Sold
07 335 coupe - Sold
07 X3 - Sold
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #22
beachumz
i'm the infantry

Name: michael
Car: 2005 325i E46
beachumz is on a distinguished road

So I have a question here... I was reading some last night on other forums and a lot of them all said that with the tunes the automatic transmission with paddles were actually more tuneable and can produce more power? Were all these claims true?

Also... Do the 335 auto transmissions act the same as the e46 autotragic where it will shift for you even though you have it in gear select mode? Or will it hold its gear like it should do!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
tullnd

Car: 09 335i sedan
tullnd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachumz View Post
So I have a question here... I was reading some last night on other forums and a lot of them all said that with the tunes the automatic transmission with paddles were actually more tuneable and can produce more power? Were all these claims true?

Also... Do the 335 auto transmissions act the same as the e46 autotragic where it will shift for you even though you have it in gear select mode? Or will it hold its gear like it should do!
I don't think the auto is any more "tuneable" than a manual. It's the same engine. Just different transmissions. As far as power, well, final drive affects what you put down to the wheels. Auto e90's are a 3.46 final I believe? Manuals are 3.08? I'd verify those numbers, not positive on them.

As for the holding gear, generally yes. Until you bounce off the rev limiter, then it will shift for you. Also, if you try to start in 2nd gear and slam it, it will downshift. You have to tap and hold to put it in 2nd and continue to hold while launching to get it to stay in 2nd and not go back to first. So there's a little intervention involved, but up to bouncing off the redline, yes, it'll stay in gear. However, if you don't shift or hit redline after a certain amount of time, it goes back into auto mode on it's own. I'm thinking that's probably like 5 minutes or something, I don't think it spells it out in the manual. But it's enough that you would have shifted if you were on a track before that time would occur.
tullnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #24
N54PWR

Car: E92 335
N54PWR is on a distinguished road

N54 down here in cincinnati.

running procede rev 2 V4.
jet hot ceramic coated catless dp's

saving for the 62mm single is in full swing. i think i am going to buy the kit, intercooler, and chargepipe, but leave the meth and drivetrain stuff for later as the kit is designed for ~400-450hp without the meth. i just want my wastegate rattle to leave forever!
N54PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
Trickcruiser
Professional

Car: 135i FBO+Meth
Trickcruiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachumz View Post

As Tullnd stated, the auto is not more tunable. The real benefit here is that it shifts very quick for not being a DCT and has a more aggressive final drive. An equally moded manual will loose to the auto every time.

For the kickdown - If you put the car in sport mode and then shift with either the paddles (if equipped) or shifter it will hold the gear until you either come to a stop (goes to second automatically) or as Tullnd mentioned, hit the rev limiter. It will downshift only if you activate the kickdown switch. I have found that with a few washers you can block the kickdown switch!

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

My Setup:

08 135i Auto w/paddles

Performance:
JB4 - Alpha G5 Board - Map III
Coolingmist Trunk Setup 70/30 Blend
AA Front Mount Intercooler
3" Catless AR Downpipes
RIP Quad Exhaust
BMS DCI + Intake Scoops
ER Charge Pipe + Synapse BOV

- With my old JB4 G3 18ohm board I made 401/433 on the CincySpeed dyno on pump 93.
- Next outing I expect to hit around 450/480 with the G5 on 109! Should know on the 20th!

Visual:
Seibon CF Powerdome hood
CF Front Lip
CF Performance Rear Spoiler
19" Alufelgen SF-71's
Tinted Tails & Side Markers
Gloss Black Kidneys
Carbon Fiber Badges
Carbon Fiber 3M Interior
LED Angel Eyes
AC Aluminum Pedals
BMW Performance Shift/E-brake Boots
P3 Gauge

Next mods:
Brake upgrade (thinking about a 2pc roter setup)
M3 Subframe Bushings
M3 Front Sway
Trickcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
Yorl

Car: M3 E30
Yorl is on a distinguished road

N54s are sweeeet! I did a customer's car, with downpipes, intakes, intercooler, Vishnu Procede and PWM meth... and a pretty aggressive custom tune. We peaked 420whp with meth, and boy, that thing moves!! I've been thinking about getting an N54 myself, seeing how I failed at the S54...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

Name: Nunya
Car: e34, e36, e46, e90
MrBillyTalent is on a distinguished road

Do it! They're fun as hell to mod and make respectable numbers. And at the end of teh day, it's still a bimmer. No more having to settle for jap crap to get a fun turbo car! yay!
MrBillyTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #28
Yorl

N54 + E30...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

GET OUT OF MY HAPPY PLACE
Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
Yorl

That'd be a cool project! And now that DI capable standalones are "cheap", it's doable! Didn't feel like spending 7k on a Pectel....
Old 07-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
fastaction
Awesome

Name: Brian
Car: 07 335i & 328it
fastaction is on a distinguished road

car turned 45k recently and current n54 topics include;

Walnut blasting service!? Whos done it?
Wastegate rattle( i just got it recently) everyone has it!! right?
LSD priorities? when and who has done it?
Tuurbo upgrades?!?!!

thoughts?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #32
Trickcruiser
Professional

Walnut blasting service!? Whos done it?
Turn In Concepts is doing it and I spoke with Tony over there about doing mine. Looks like about a $300 job.

Wastegate rattle( i just got it recently) everyone has it!! right?
Are you running a tune? JB4 and Proceed have ways of reducing this.

LSD priorities? when and who has done it?
Depends on the purpose of the car really. I have seen people getting 1.6 60' times on the stock diff with drag radials. I have had a 1.8 on street tires.
But if your more into auto x then it would be much better. I did one event with my E92 last year and that was the only time I have ever really felt it would be a good spend of money.

Tuurbo upgrades?!?!!
There are a few out there but it looks like the best spend is the RB's. For about $3500 you can get 500-550whp on the daily. The Vinsue and HPF single kits are getting 650+ WHP but the cost appears to be in the neighborhood of $10,000... I am trying really hard to convince my wife that the RB's would be a great spend of $$$ lol
Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #33
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

Walnut blasting
I would KILL to have this done. Put this together and we can make a day out of it. 80k and never been done.

Wastegate Rattle
Thank heavens no, but I agree I think the jb4 helps reduce it, and its cheaper than new turbos

LSD
$$$$$$$$ I wi$h i had traction

Turbo upgrades
College education > 600whp
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #34
Trickcruiser
Professional

Quote:
Walnut blasting
I would KILL to have this done. Put this together and we can make a day out of it. 80k and never been done.

LSD
$$$$$$$$ I wi$h i had traction
Blasting - Let me see if we can get a group buy from these guys!

What wheel/tire combo are you running? I switched to Continental ExtremeContact dw and these are by far the best street tires I have ran to date.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #35
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

I've currently got a staggered set up from Beyern, 18X8.5 and 9.5 I believe. Hankook ventus v12's 225s in front and 255's rear. Worked smashingly for the e46. Now I can't keep them planted for the life of me
Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #36
Trickcruiser
Professional

Quote:
I've currently got a staggered set up from Beyern, 18X8.5 and 9.5 I believe. Hankook ventus v12's 225s in front and 255's rear. Worked smashingly for the e46. Now I can't keep them planted for the life of me
Yeah, on my 335i I had first tried the Falken FK-452's and then the Ventus v12's. These were both 275/35/19 on 19x10 BBS's and they were ok...

Now on my 135 I am running the ExtremeContact 265/30/19 19x9's in the rear and they are night and day better!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #37
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

Unfortunately college > baller tires
As far as I'm concerned the v12's are the best bang for my buck. I did a bit of research and had settled with them. This makes me feel better when autocrossing/DDing that I can have a bit of fun without worrying about selling a kidney if I wear my tires out too much
Old 07-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #38
fastaction
Awesome

Name: Brian
Car: 07 335i & 328it
fastaction is on a distinguished road

Walnut blasting; I've seen pics of cars at less then 40k that definitely shows why this is getting done, but my car runs great still. Considering methanol injection which I hear helps out with the deposit problems.

The ticking/tapping noise I hear was just diagnosed as "the wastegate rattle", its not that bad and can live with it. I run a Cobb AP tune, and I'm hoping this and upgraded twins will fix the noise later.

LSD would just make everything so much more enjoyable, but gonna have to go to the strip soon to see what it can do without.

The upgraded RB twins are definitely on my list for simplicity and cost with modest power increase.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #39
David1
Awesome

Name: David
Car: M2
David1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Unfortunately college > baller tires
As far as I'm concerned the v12's are the best bang for my buck. I did a bit of research and had settled with them. This makes me feel better when autocrossing/DDing that I can have a bit of fun without worrying about selling a kidney if I wear my tires out too much
My rear PS2's are at that bars with 7600 miles on them. Going do do different rims and Michelin Super Sports if I keep the car.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

If your car doesn't burn alot of oil, you are ok for longer on the carbon. I use to have all the blasting equipment 17ish years ago when I had my shop. Carbon was so bad on the GM 2.8 and 3.1 motors that we even had to do that funky intake they had. Nice to see we have come along way with tech.
2009 335i Coupe - Sold - LBM - Black Dakota/Glacier aluminum-6spd|Nav|M-Sport|Premium|Logic7|Heated Seats|CA|BMW Performance Suspension & M3 Control Arms|Subframe Inserts|M3 lip spoiler|Rennart Exhaust|AFE DCI|JB5 iso w/flash|
2014 Jeep GC Overland - Sold
2009 X5 3.0 - Sold
07 335 coupe - Sold
07 X3 - Sold
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #40
Supra98

Car: e92 335i
Supra98 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickcruiser View Post
Blasting - Let me see if we can get a group buy from these guys!
If you do I'm interested as well.
Supra98 is offline   Reply With Quote