Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > Showoff

Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
tinkwithanr
is Adjustable
OB Supporter

Car: '00 323i & '75 2002
tinkwithanr is on a distinguished road
Default The Resurrection of Heidi

A flashy red Ferrari slips by you in traffic. A classic Mustang growls as it steps off from a stop sign, the power on tap just itching to be used. They are noticed immediately, even everyday observers that couldn't tell a Jetta from an E30 stop and stare, knowing that something special just drove by. But just as quick as they appear, they're gone. Fleeting moments of grace and beauty that can't help but flicker away, burning brighter and faster than the mundane, bland commuters that surround them. And as they move down the road, you move on, going about your day. Soon enough it slips to the back of your mind, only to be recalled in casual dinner conversations with friends as that 'cool car' that you saw the other day. And then you forget about them, simply because there are other things more important.

But not all fall prey to shopping lists and board meetings. The truly great ones refuse to be pushed aside. They stick with you, reemerging from your subconscious to remind you that they are in fact something special. They are the reason we become fanatics. The reason we need an extra cup of coffee in the morning. Because you just had to read one more review from that one car magazine, which turned into 3, which turned into 2 hours of youtube videos. Errands are put off, whatever it was that you meant to do can just as easily be done the next day. Just to spend a little more time living in that moment.

Everyone has their list. It could be 2, 5, 10 long, it's no matter. We all have the select few cars that are why are who we are. Why we do what we do. They are the reason the first auto-complete options in your browser are craigslist, Autotrader, and Ebaymotors (in that order). They distract us from the everyday, give us escape to think what if. And just maybe, just maybe, if the cards fall just right, the unfathomable can happen.

My list wasn't that long to begin with, but it just got shorter.

Meet Heidi.

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
Thing
Wi-Fi Available

Name: Sean
Car: E46 357?
Thing is on a distinguished road

Oh ****. how worn?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #3
tinkwithanr
is Adjustable
OB Supporter

1988 BMW M5. The first thing that really stands out is how little she stands out. When the motorsport division put their mark on the e28 M5, they used a different brush than they had on the M3's of the generation. Gone where the box flares and ground effects that have seen E30 M3's become some of the most sought after cars in the past decade. No, this car was to be subtle. While the M3 was breed for the track, the M5 knew that it was still a road car. For the US-spec models, the large chin and duck fin spoiler the only real giveaways that there was something different about this one. A casual observer wouldn't think anything of it to sit in the passenger seat, it's just a nice sedan with some leather seats and a funny letter here and there. Of course all preconceived ideas are only masking the transplanted heart of a supercar. She doesn't care about being flashy, because she doesn't need to be. Let them have their racing stripes and flares, looking fast doesn't get you to the next apex.

And while I am quite enjoying this story telling, the truth of the matter is that time takes it's toll. What was once a sleek, little black dress paint job now shows it's share of scuffs, scratches and dings. Rubber seals droop and hang, and rear windows finally loose the fight against gravity they've been waging for decades. The proud badges, one of the only marking that showed her true colors, have faded to pastel.

Skeletons of past relationships show on the surface. From wiper arms that have migrated to the trunk to an interior that shows every day of it's 25 years, she has a past that she can't manage to hide any longer.

Every day cancer tried to grab hold, but she is a fighter. And after years of fighting alone, slowly giving up more and more ground to it's relentless appetite, she can rest knowing that it will finally be stopped. Luckily for all of us she held on, kept it at bay. It did it's damage, but nothing deep. Nothing lasting.

Her heart is weary and tired. What was once a pinnacle of engineering marvel, a symphony of pistons and valves working in unison like nothing else in it's day, now lies waiting to be brought back to life.

And now she will wait no more. Her time has come.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Hoonter
Srs bsns

Name: Hunter
Car: M3, 740i
Hoonter is on a distinguished road

It makes me very happy to see youre saving this one. An e28 m5 is one of the ones on my list. Looks like you have your hands full
Hoonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
QtheGenius
Learning to Surf
Super Mod

Name: Jonathan
Car: 98 M3/2/5, 00 323i
QtheGenius is on a distinguished road

I would have taken a shark over a fishtank, but I still approve! These still catch my eye when I rarely see one. Good luck!

Only buy a car that you can push
QtheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
worthington
thatonedood

Name: paul
Car: e34 540, 91 civic
worthington is on a distinguished road

Hands down my favorite bimmer, nice score! You've got your work cut out for you

worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
tpevan
In For The Lulz
OB Supporter

Name: Evan
Car: E36 323is/5
tpevan is on a distinguished road

Very nice!

Send her down here to Arizona and get her out of that salt infested environment!
tpevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
worthington
thatonedood

Name: paul
Car: e34 540, 91 civic
worthington is on a distinguished road

An old favorite of mine, and appropriate:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

worthington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
brett72586
Bored
OB Supporter

Name: Brett
Car: 2004 325ci
brett72586 is on a distinguished road

if thats not love then i don't know what is
Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
BlackSpeed66
(OO=[][]=OO)
OB Supporter

Name: Gene
Car: e30, e34, '82 Vette
BlackSpeed66 is on a distinguished road

That is a wonderful video, hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting that.

Would love to own one of these cars someday too...

'87 325is Delphin/Cardinal (s52'd)
'95 525i Touring Green/Tan
'91 525i Black/Tan
'82 Vette (hers)
BlackSpeed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
tinkwithanr
is Adjustable
OB Supporter

Time.

For something so rigid and consistent, isn't it a wonder how differently it can be perceived. When caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it passes us by with a speed that we don't even comprehend. Days turn into weeks. Weeks into months. And before you know it the car you parked in the garage last weekend has been sitting, mothballed for a decade. It happens all to easily. It was that same force that got her to the place in her life that I met her. It's funny though, how the thing that seemed to be slowly killing her was actually her last line of defense from a greater, unforeseen force. Hindsight reveals the clearest of pictures only after their usefulness has passed.

The first few weeks we spent together passed so quickly, countless nights spent getting to know each other.

With a goal of getting her back on the road to really feel what she needed, getting her heart beating again was the first order of business. Fluids were flushed, throttle bodies rebuilt, and a completely new fuel system was installed.

As the anticipation of months of work built up, time slowed. Billions of electrons awoke from their slumber. They stumbled down the paths they once knew, all but forgotten from the past. The signal from the ignition spread out throughout her nervous system, bringing to life all of her organs in a mechanical symphony. And on a cold night in April, she cleared her throat again. Time, it seemed, had not beaten her yet.

Celebrations were short lived, there was still a long road to travel. Her heart was strong, but the rest of her was still very weak. A short test drive revealed a limping transmission. The brakes that once kept her supercar urges in check were all but rotted away. Of course, anything that popped up was nothing that couldn't be remedied with a weekend or two of long nights and cold drinks.

Then I finally drove her home. Not across the parking lot. Not down the block. We took the long way home, to a real garage. Looking back on that drive it was truly great. She drove flawlessly, all the years of neglect faded away with every passing mile. The engine pulled stronger than I could have hoped for, the racing pedigree screaming out all the way to the redline. It was a story book ending, and the beginning of something truly amazing. I got one last look as I tucked her in for the night.

The next day I awoke with excitement, knowing what was waiting for me just downstairs. There was still a laundry list of odds and ends that needed to be accomplished, but now that she was back it seemed like a mountain eroded into a molehill. Nothing was to big, nothing insurmountable. Nothing except what was waited for Heidi that afternoon.

She was just sitting at a red light.

They had no License.

No Insurance.

Time stood still.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #12
MTiger
Marathon Man
OB Supporter

Name: Shaun
Car: E3 Bavaria E90 335i
MTiger is on a distinguished road

Ugh.
MTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
explosiverain
something witty

Car: e36 M3
explosiverain is on a distinguished road

Oh noes!
explosiverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Fishey
Awesome

Name: Ronald
Car: Porsche
Fishey is on a distinguished road

I hope they went to jail...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

Name: Nunya
Car: e34, e36, e46, e90
MrBillyTalent is on a distinguished road

This is like a romance novel. One that I could get into!
Then that last post. Now its a horror story.

Don't stop doing that thing with the telling us stuff and stuff
MrBillyTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #16
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Name: Rudy
Car: 2001 BMW 330i
Rudy is on a distinguished road

Old 10-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #17
Dermit
Professional

Name: Jason
Car: M3
Dermit is on a distinguished road

I was not expecting that ending. Felt like I walked off of a cliff.

You going to straighten the frame and rebuild or junk it? And is your radiator busted?

I hope you did not get hurt.
Dermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #18
fravel
bA what?!?

Name: Tyler
Car: '06 330i
fravel is on a distinguished road

I want to cry for you.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
brett72586
Bored
OB Supporter

Name: Brett
Car: 2004 325ci
brett72586 is on a distinguished road

well...what happened to the other driver? electric chair? lethal injection? sent to syria/iraq with a shirt that says "death to ISIS"??

West Africa is a good place from what I hear. They need to share their Ebola I guess...
Old 10-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #20
zeitgeist57
Can't Truss It!

Name: Clay
Car: E36 vert
zeitgeist57 is on a distinguished road

I didn't see this thread before. That accident was an unexpected end to a great story still being told.

In the words of the intarbutt: "I has a sad."

'07 CTS-V - '95 318 - '82 F100 - '78 Continental Mark V
zeitgeist57 is offline   Reply With Quote