HotDoggin
Spinderella

Name: Gordon
Car: '94 Mauritius 325is
HotDoggin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
so is your goal to finish this year?
Truthfully, I'd love to finish in a month - but the time/budget required to do it right sometimes dictate something else..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, this weekend was a fairly quiet weekend, but made some good progress on Sunday- Test fit the engine mounts!

The mounts need a few tweaks to make things a little better, but ultimately they're pretty damned close for a first shot. After this, tranny-mount needs to be finalized after I take a look at driveline angles..
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #86
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

Name: Nunya
Car: e34, e36, e46, e90
MrBillyTalent is on a distinguished road

Alright, here we go:

I've been planning a VERY similar swap myself for the last few months and I can't believe this thread didn't occur to me. (I can't see pictures on here at work so my mind turns off)

My original plan: e46 wagon ls swap with 400whp daily. AC, radio, comfortable suspension, I wanted to daily it.

Upon farther research I found vorschlag's engine mount and header kit, so I was all set to do the swap. Then I started piecing together all the labor a rear end would require and got scared away, I have little to no experience welding and wanted to try and not bite off more than I can chew on that project.

Enter 540i wagon. Found a place that sells motor mounts and headers, and found out that the factory rear end could handle an ls. I hate jumping away from my e46 ambitions (love that chassis) but it seemed to be a necessary evil.

Fast forward ---> money is always an issue so this is still months out. Then I finally read all the way through this thread!

I am WAY more than interested in helping fund some motor mounts and return to my e46 plans. I'm not as worried about headers as I once was as I've learned they can be fabbed fairly easily.

My only hickup is your rear end ( ), how do you plan about tackling that? I know of axles that could work I just have no faith in my ability to make them work.
MrBillyTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #87
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBillyTalent View Post
...My only hickup is your rear end ( ), how do you plan about tackling that? I know of axles that could work I just have no faith in my ability to make them work.
Truthfully, all along I have been planning to swap in a Ford Aluminum 8.8 IRS.

The diff shape is so close, and the aftermarket support for the 8.8 is great..

On top of that, gear sets for the 8.8 are available and are DIRT cheap (especially when compared to the BMW range) - think like, ~$300 to get a full gear change.

Vorshlag eluded to the fact that they were going to do development work on this portion of their kit some day, but everything I've heard out of vorshlag has told me they've killed the funding for the project until things like the BRZ/FRS are out of the picture..

But the similarities in case shape/size are disgustingly close..

A custom drive-shaft was already going to have to be in the picture, so one that fits up to a custom diff is no different, essentially... Then comes custom axles, and I believe we could easily find something to deal with the change between 8.8 and a BMW spline..

All that said, my plan is to get the engine in and squared up first.. Then move down the stream... The diff can happen in parallel with getting the engine built and things like wiring completed.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #88
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

I may have an in at a place to fab up a custom driveshaft, let me know when you approach that speedbump.

I had emailed vorschlag a few weeks ago and they said they hadn't axed it.... they were just finishing another building to work out of somewhere in Texas and development would continue once they finished the building.

As far as axles can't you get the alter the hub easier than creating some bastardized half shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDoggin View Post
and things like wiring completed.
How do you plan going about engine control? Will you be utilizing the existing bmw dashboard gauges? I nkow places sell kits but I don't fully understand the transition from say, a GM ecu to a bmw gauge cluster.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #89
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
I may have an in at a place to fab up a custom driveshaft, let me know when you approach that speedbump.

I had emailed vorschlag a few weeks ago and they said they hadn't axed it.... they were just finishing another building to work out of somewhere in Texas and development would continue once they finished the building.

As far as axles can't you get the alter the hub easier than creating some bastardized half shaft?

How do you plan going about engine control? Will you be utilizing the existing bmw dashboard gauges? I nkow places sell kits but I don't fully understand the transition from say, a GM ecu to a bmw gauge cluster.
My comment regarding Vorshlag is admittedly dated at this point, but last time I spoke with them (over a year ago?) they were confident that they were going to have funding pouring into the CANbus solutions for the E46 Alpha car by first quarter of this year ('15) and the public would start hearing about it... I haven't yet, so I'm not holding my breath.. They admitted that they were going to use the BRZ/FRS as their first CANbus Frankenstein project and wanting to take lessons learned back to the BMW world.. Admittedly I'm assuming the BMW side of things is far more encrypted than others so it presents its own challenges.

You are correct - You can alter the hubs on the diffs fairly easy, but what a lot of people forget about is that on the "inside" of the hubs lives a hardened (typically case hardened) spline, which once you weld some sort of new hub onto that assembly you create a whole bubble of new issues regarding stressed and heat affected zones..

When you create a custom axle/half shaft - you can typically define a standard flange (in this case a Ford 8.8), 2 CV joints, a length, your expected length change or angle change?... and then your output definition, or in our case a BMW hub/flange - That's not to say that you would HAVE to stay with that hub at the axle, as that's probably the easiest piece to modifiy, so given a more standard spline pattern than what BMW chose to use, you could likely create or order (or modify) a 5 bolt hub with a more common spline to fit the same bearing race(s).. The catch is that all these "customizations" are part of a full assembly so there typically isn't any welding or heat treating required (other than some of the half-shaft pieces, but this isn't atypical), so you gain the advantage of simply specifying a different part instead of a customized part..

In regards to electronics, there are a few options available but it's not totally clear. From what I can understand I'll need a "hotrod" harness of my choice (this will allow anyone to run the GM engine sans car and theft protection-esque stuff).. The harness will allow you to output a few critical signals such as engine temps, oil pressures (can't recall if this is included in the generic GM lineup), RPM, etc.. There is a guy on bimmerforums that goes by Thaniel who has developed an Arduino based "translator" between the BMW canbus and the GM canbus - This allows you to feed these few desired GM signals into the BMW dash..

See HERE

Things like AC will simply require finding some sort of AC compressor that functions off of a similar signal to that of BMW's system (which I believe to be a single +12V feed... unverified), but shouldn't need any "translation" between GM/BMW..

Now, the one that I didn't realize until a few weeks ago is that cruise control is going to be a tough one. Seems like nobody in the "aftermarket" world want to design and sell a system like this due to liability concerns..

(See something like... Toyota's sticking gas pedal)

This upsets me because I LOVE my cruise on my vehicles, and I anticipate that I'll be going drive by wire for the GM setup to help eliminate tuning issues with boost? ( SOOOON )... But that adds obvious challenges when going to integrate throttle control through a 2nd or 3rd computer.. Unless I can somehow make GM's cruise play nice with BMW's buttons and computer, I see this being a problem for way farther down the road..

All that said, if Vorshlag comes up with a great 8.8 rear-end solution that isn't race-car focused, then something like that product should be viable with anyone's swap, provided the driveline angles/positions are preserved.. Similarly, if they come up with a good CANbus solution prior to my need then it's going to be a totally viable option for an "easy" and polished swap..
Old 02-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #90
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

Quote:
That's not to say that you would HAVE to stay with that hub at the axle, as that's probably the easiest piece to modifiy, so given a more standard spline pattern than what BMW chose to use, you could likely create or order (or modify) a 5 bolt hub with a more common spline to fit the same bearing race(s).. The catch is that all these "customizations" are part of a full assembly so there typically isn't any welding or heat treating required (other than some of the half-shaft pieces, but this isn't atypical), so you gain the advantage of simply specifying a different part instead of a customized part..
That was what I was referring to, as long as you can match the inner bearing race I think getting a wheel end hub would be more viable, then your only custom necessity for half shafts is length.
Quote:
In regards to electronics, there are a few options available but it's not totally clear. From what I can understand I'll need a "hotrod" harness of my choice (this will allow anyone to run the GM engine sans car and theft protection-esque stuff).. The harness will allow you to output a few critical signals such as engine temps, oil pressures (can't recall if this is included in the generic GM lineup), RPM, etc.. There is a guy on bimmerforums that goes by Thaniel who has developed an Arduino based "translator" between the BMW canbus and the GM canbus - This allows you to feed these few desired GM signals into the BMW dash...
This leads into one of my small desires for this project, how difficult would it be to integrate a megasquirt system with the bmw display?
I've seen these 'hotrod' harnesses and boy are they expensive, but the ease of use almost seems worth it.

Also forgive MY naivety, you mentioned you may switch to drive by wire. Are the LS1's drive by cable originally?
Old 02-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #91
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
That was what I was referring to, as long as you can match the inner bearing race I think getting a wheel end hub would be more viable, then your only custom necessity for half shafts is length.

This leads into one of my small desires for this project, how difficult would it be to integrate a megasquirt system with the bmw display?
I've seen these 'hotrod' harnesses and boy are they expensive, but the ease of use almost seems worth it.

Also forgive MY naivety, you mentioned you may switch to drive by wire. Are the LS1's drive by cable originally?
Truthfully, I'm not familiar enough with the megasquirt to speak to that, but I know that every aftermarket ECU system has their flaws.. I don't see any reason you couldn't take signals from a megasquirt and feed them into a translator board (Thaniels solution or...?) and into the BMW dash? Most people opt out of that as a flashed GM ECU often offers a lot of expandability, and the ability to keep things like your OBDII diagnostics port for the engine (and in the case of this swap a port for the "car" as well).

If you do some digging and are a competent "electrician", you could easily dig up a wiring diagram for a "hotrod hardness" of your own. The items you can buy are great though because they are literally plug/play..

I believe that some of the LS1s were drive by cable, some drive by wire - Truthfully I've never taken the time to figure out which ones or why because I was convinced that a new intake manifold and throttle body were in my future potentially anyway.. Someone else may be able to chime in on this one..
Old 02-19-2015, 12:26 PM   #92
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

A small amount of research has proven to me that the majority are drive by cable.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #93
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
A small amount of research has proven to me that the majority are drive by cable.
Interesting.. makes me want to go see what I have in my basement -

It came off of a '99 Camaro SS..

Either way, given the desire for cruise I'm wondering which would be the wise choice to make - Need to make it now since tuning could be based on these things!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #94
MIKE
Good at computer
Admin

Name: Brian
Car: 04 LSB M3
MIKE has disabled reputation

yeah if it was a camaro it was drive by cable. i had a 99 z28 and i remember making that cable shorter to improve throttle response
MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #95
MrBillyTalent
<
OB Supporter

Quote:
Either way, given the desire for cruise I'm wondering which would be the wise choice to make - Need to make it now since tuning could be based on these things!
Nothing a well ran throttle cable and a pair of locking pliers cant fix...
Old 01-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #96
HotDoggin
Spinderella

It’s been a too long.. But now we’re [slowly] back at it! (For better or worse)

Managed to get the prototype mounts tweaked enough that I’m very happy with how they fit. This thing is shoe-horned in as tightly as I can get it, and driveline angles look phenomenal (<1° difference between transmission and diff).

I had to slightly modify tranny tunnel to allow room for the reverse solenoid, and I’ll opt to go back and either “round” some [useless] features on the T56 to be a smaller diameter, or modify the tunnel slightly to eliminate some very light touching. Shifter COULD work where it is, but again I may opt for a little additional clearance and an adjustable short throw to center it in the vehicle..

Touch points

Hilarious mullet shifter with a 3 foot throw

Threw the nose piece and the water pump on the LS1 and took a few preliminary measurements – I think I’ll have plenty of room for some boost tubage.. My math tells me roughly 4” between what would be the back of the radiator, and the nose of the factory water pump – If I opt for a “low profile” serpentine system, and/or electric fans/water pumps, then that space won’t shrink too much farther.

In parallel to starting to select components for the engine build up, I’m planning to rebuild the shift forks/pads, add the viper 2nd gear and a round of “preventative maintenance” for things like bearings and seals for the T56, look at a Ford 8.8 IRS retrofit in the rear, and finalize welding on the engine mounts. In finalizing the engine mounts, I’ll be building fixturing to be able to reproduce ‘kits’ that I am hoping to offer.. The same goal exists for the 8.8 setup.

With only a few days of number crunching under my belt, it’s looking like the preliminary engine build plan will go something like this:

-Port/Polish existing (853) heads, or source (port/polish) 317 heads (decrease compression ratio from 10.1 down to 9.5)
-New Cam, (LS6?)
-Borg Warner EFR 9180 or maybe EFR8374 (Other options include Garrett GTX4088R or GTX4094R) running ~10psi?
-Balance rotating assemblies, refresh engine bearings/seals (135k+ on current)
-upgrade oiling (LS2 pump, double roller) valves/springs/retaining hardware with goal of increased reliability
-Upgraded intake (LS6?)

A combo like that should more than get it done.. Borg’s match bot is telling me a combo like this could easily yield me 700+
Marcumac (01-12-2016), QtheGenius (01-13-2016), Rittmeister (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #97
QtheGenius
Learning to Surf
Super Mod

Name: Jonathan
Car: 98 M3/2/5, 00 323i
QtheGenius is on a distinguished road

psssssh, only 700? Do you even horsepower, bro?

Only buy a car that you can push
QtheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QtheGenius For This Useful Post:
Marcumac (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #98
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Name: Rudy
Car: 2001 BMW 330i
Rudy is on a distinguished road

Do they make fenders wide enough for 700hp?
Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #99
fastaction
Awesome

Name: Brian
Car: 07 335i & 328it
fastaction is on a distinguished road

Good to see this thread back on track, that shifter makes it beastly!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #100
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Do they make fenders wide enough for 700hp?
They don't...

But... part of the plan is to "wide-body" the car. If anyone's familiar with Eric Campbell's 330 that gets raced in SCCA's DSP class, I'm looking to apply fenders like he's got to the wagon. The shop that did these for him is in Columbus, so it'd be easy enough to drop the car with them and ask them to tuck 285+ tires under the fenders.. FWIW, he runs ~335 width tires IIRC.

These are some of the best shots I can find, though they really don't do it justice..

Edit:
Monk3y came through in the clutch:
Marcumac (01-19-2016)