Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > Showoff

Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Name: Aaron
Car: M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is on a distinguished road
Default Test Drove the NEW Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio

Looked at, and "test drove" the first Alfa QV to show up in central Ohio yesterday. I could write a full page on my short experience with the car but I'll save you the reading time. Overall, I was pretty impressed (as a current '16 M3 ZCP owner) and I think it'll make the performance-sedan class more interesting moving forward. One major problem I already see is availability. This dealer said they may only get 2 QV's this entire year and that there's currently no plan to offer leasing for the performance model Giulia.

Personally, I would probably swap my M3 out for it right now if my payment remained the same. It offers just about everything my BMW already has, plus/minus a few performance advantages, all in a more unique and quirky package. Who knows, I might just be driving one of these, 1LE, or Corvette GS by the end of summer!

[/QUOTE]

~'16 M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
David1
Awesome

Name: David
Car: M2
David1 is on a distinguished road

There will plenty of these to go around. If they don't Alfa will gone from the U.S. again. They have a years worth of 4C's laying around they can't sell.
2009 335i Coupe - Sold - LBM - Black Dakota/Glacier aluminum-6spd|Nav|M-Sport|Premium|Logic7|Heated Seats|CA|BMW Performance Suspension & M3 Control Arms|Subframe Inserts|M3 lip spoiler|Rennart Exhaust|AFE DCI|JB5 iso w/flash|
2014 Jeep GC Overland - Sold
2009 X5 3.0 - Sold
07 335 coupe - Sold
07 X3 - Sold
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
zeitgeist57
Can't Truss It!

Name: Clay
Car: E36 vert
zeitgeist57 is on a distinguished road

I'm definitely a fan of this car, even if it's not offered in a stick.

Crazy that there won't be too many of these available initially. I'm sure the used market will be well-populated once these come off lease 2-3 years from now.

Aaron, my vote would be the GS Corvette. In both C6 and C7 versions I think the performance/price value is top of the market.

'07 CTS-V - '95 318 - '82 F100 - '78 Continental Mark V
zeitgeist57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
walton32
Newb

Name: Walton R.
Car: bmw
walton32 is on a distinguished road

That's a sweet looking car. I dig the body styling.
walton32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
AudiOn19s
Awesome

Name: Andy
Car: A4, E55, GT3, 997TT
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road

We had a "regular" Giulia diesel 6-speed manual as a rental while we were in Europe last week. Put over 2500km on the car in 8 days and came away with mixed emotions. I'd like to drive the QV but based on the regular car I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon.

#1 - This is a fantastic looking car, and it gets looks from EVERYONE, everywhere that you go. I literally had 3 completely random parking lot conversations about this car it was that popular.

What I will give to the car is the chassis is WAY better than I expected it to be. It stuck much better than anticipated on the German back roads around the Nurburbring where I got to really give it some exercise. I didn't dare take it on the ring itself but the roads surrounding the ring are pretty darn good an there's no police out there either.

I still don't own a car with electric power steering and I'm still not a huge fan of any of them that I've driven. I had a weird experience with both the 228i rental we had at the ring and the Giulia...if you'd enter a turn hot and really try to trail brake the car to get the front to stick it'd sense the extra steering load on the front wheels and over-boost the steering causing a really weird sensation.

The brakes in the standard car were also very good but HORRIBLY over-boosted from a power assistance standpoint. You couldn't modulate the brakes or heel-toe smoothly because of how overly sensative the brake pedal was.

Interior wasn't really a complaint for me, I had no issues with it. Wheel is nice, controls are where they need to be.

The electronics package for the car was bad in my opinion. I couldn't find a way to default all of the driver aids to off which means I had to manually turn everything off when I started the car. The proximity sensors would go ballistic if the wind blew the wrong direction. The stop start was meh....the land departure stuff was annoying. Twice on the Autobahn the collision detection system slammed on the brakes for me as I was changing lanes into the fast lane causing me to be in an uncomfortable situation while traffic was bearing down on me.

For some reason every time you start the car all of the radio /etc defaults to completely off...so you have to turn on the radio every time you start driving the car. The NAV wouldn't re-calculate until you were REALLY far off the beaten road. In Germany they love to just randomly close roads and when you try to find an alternative route for the first 10 miles or so all the car wants you to do is do a U turn and go back to where the closed road was.

I think this is a sign that I'm getting old but all the electronics in the car really took away from the driving experience.

Giulia by Andrew Kutscher, on Flickr
Old 07-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
CylonRed
Awesome

Name: Brian
Car: 2001 330i sport pkg
CylonRed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You couldn't modulate the brakes or heel-toe smoothly because of how overly sensative the brake pedal was.
This is my issue with my 330i - I like my old '89 Civics HB brake pedal feel - very stiff.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Name: Aaron
Car: M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s View Post
We had a "regular" Giulia diesel 6-speed manual as a rental while we were in Europe last week. Put over 2500km on the car in 8 days and came away with mixed emotions. I'd like to drive the QV but based on the regular car I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon.

#1 - This is a fantastic looking car, and it gets looks from EVERYONE, everywhere that you go. I literally had 3 completely random parking lot conversations about this car it was that popular.

What I will give to the car is the chassis is WAY better than I expected it to be. It stuck much better than anticipated on the German back roads around the Nurburbring where I got to really give it some exercise. I didn't dare take it on the ring itself but the roads surrounding the ring are pretty darn good an there's no police out there either.

I still don't own a car with electric power steering and I'm still not a huge fan of any of them that I've driven. I had a weird experience with both the 228i rental we had at the ring and the Giulia...if you'd enter a turn hot and really try to trail brake the car to get the front to stick it'd sense the extra steering load on the front wheels and over-boost the steering causing a really weird sensation.

The brakes in the standard car were also very good but HORRIBLY over-boosted from a power assistance standpoint. You couldn't modulate the brakes or heel-toe smoothly because of how overly sensative the brake pedal was.

Interior wasn't really a complaint for me, I had no issues with it. Wheel is nice, controls are where they need to be.

The electronics package for the car was bad in my opinion. I couldn't find a way to default all of the driver aids to off which means I had to manually turn everything off when I started the car. The proximity sensors would go ballistic if the wind blew the wrong direction. The stop start was meh....the land departure stuff was annoying. Twice on the Autobahn the collision detection system slammed on the brakes for me as I was changing lanes into the fast lane causing me to be in an uncomfortable situation while traffic was bearing down on me.

For some reason every time you start the car all of the radio /etc defaults to completely off...so you have to turn on the radio every time you start driving the car. The NAV wouldn't re-calculate until you were REALLY far off the beaten road. In Germany they love to just randomly close roads and when you try to find an alternative route for the first 10 miles or so all the car wants you to do is do a U turn and go back to where the closed road was.

I think this is a sign that I'm getting old but all the electronics in the car really took away from the driving experience.
Andy, that's pretty awesome to hear you got to put some miles of one of these! I tend to agree with just about everything you said (based on my very limited experience with the car).

The Giulia has brake-by-wire I believe. Brake "feel" has been a common compliant in the reviews I've seen so far. Somewhere I read that if you engage ABS in RACE mode it'll even re-activate the stability controls, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Electronic steering, and feel? haha..Out of the box, my Lexus probably had the best feel of any modern car I've driven in recent memory. The Cayman 718, Macan GTS, M3, all seem to lack feel. Actually the new Camaro was decent I suppose.

I didn't mess with the electronics too much, but your observations seem about right. I could probably live with the UI without issue though, seemed like a cheap-knockoff version of idrive.

Chassis is good, better than the current BMWs, but I would like to go back and drive a regular Giulia to see how the car feels with the standard suspension and engine.

The one thing that still worries me is the reliability, specifically the issues with the electronics a lot of people seems to be having so far. The car have been around in EU for a while, so there's no excuse for warning lights, malfunctions after a year of mass production.

Lastly, I've seen (3) standard Giulia's around town with temp. tags including one up at Honda R&D and one in my neighborhood just last week! That makes me happy. I want these types of cars to exist and fill driveways. Seeing thousands of BMWs and Hondas gets old!

~'16 M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #8
Rittmeister
Groove Master
OB Supporter

Name: KS
Car: 2003 M5
Rittmeister is on a distinguished road

I'm smitten with the Quadrifoglio. One of the few things I'd trade my M5 for - but I'll have to way 8-10 years for the depreciation to kick in...

2003 Jet Black ///M5 - extend right leg, laugh uproariously.
Rittmeister is offline   Reply With Quote