Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > General BMW Chat

Old 08-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
purin

Name: Yuki
Car: e60 535 6MT
purin is on a distinguished road
Default Maintenance and no more smoke?

Just wanted to update about some maintenance issues that I finally got done this weekend for e60 535.

Replaced VCG, OFHG, OCG, new PVC vent hose clamp and simple green everywhere. The oil cooler was leaking bad and crustying up the whole front. All clean now.

Wiped down inside piping from FMIC to throttle body, cleaned off injector carbon build up on tips, new spark plugs, and checked turbos for oil pooling in the housing (dry).

No boost leaks and will update JB4 firmware later today. Drove about 50miles and no oil at the tips and no smoke! Super happy! I hope it lasts. Wanted to thank Dave for the phone support.

Can anyone either help me with coding or borrow their cable? My codes were all reset at the dealer and want to redo them. I live in Hilliard and work in kingsmills/mason. I can meet anywhere.

Thanks
Yuki
Old 08-31-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
QtheGenius
Learning to Surf
Super Mod

Name: Jonathan
Car: 98 M3/2/5, 00 323i
QtheGenius is on a distinguished road

great work! it's amazing what some simple maintenace can do for our cars.

Only buy a car that you can push
QtheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
David1
Awesome

Name: David
Car: M2
David1 is on a distinguished road

That's more than simple maintenance. I bet he has all of 10 hours or more in it.
2009 335i Coupe - Sold - LBM - Black Dakota/Glacier aluminum-6spd|Nav|M-Sport|Premium|Logic7|Heated Seats|CA|BMW Performance Suspension & M3 Control Arms|Subframe Inserts|M3 lip spoiler|Rennart Exhaust|AFE DCI|JB5 iso w/flash|
2014 Jeep GC Overland - Sold
2009 X5 3.0 - Sold
07 335 coupe - Sold
07 X3 - Sold
David1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
purin

Name: Yuki
Car: e60 535 6MT
purin is on a distinguished road

I don't have an honest total but I think more than 10hrs total for my first time with this maintenance. I think it really was simple, not as easy as I thought it would be. I was expecting take it off, swap gasket, put it back. More removal and forgetting to torque down properly where fuel spray etc that I had the pleasure to experience.

I had it up on jackstands for about a week after I tore down and waiting on parts. I had an idea I wanted to do the gaskets but wanted to see the original condition first before I bought. I think about 3~5hrs on tear down. I couldn't figure out how to crack the seal on the valve cover without damaging and the bolts on the oil filter housing were all crusty, I spent quite a bit of time on that. Friday from 8pm~2am? Sat 7~4pm. This included cleaning (DCI re-oil, etc) and trying to tighten the DP v-clamp. Was easier than the first time I did it 50k miles ago but I just had a hard time with the angles putting them back. Ended up eating some extra time on that.

As a side note, I didn't have a putty knife but had a pizza roller cutter thing that worked pretty well I thought without gauging the valve cover or head.

My 90miles this morning seem to be ok without stutter or smoking. I didn't get around to new JB4 firmware, I'll try to do is on the way back. I heard some people might be having issues with 31.1. We'll see.

Yuki
Old 10-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
M5SSILE
WannaBeStig

Name: Nick Norma
Car: BSM E60 M5
M5SSILE is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the maintenance being successful. I've had quite a bit of experience with the N54 doing exactly what you've done. Minus messing with the injectors. Never really got into that.

Did however do a water pump, that was a BLAST.

The oil probably came from the spark plug tube gaskets. If one of those failed catastrophically that may have been where all your oil was coming from.

As far as coding if you PM me your email I can put you in touch with a Buddy of mine. I'm only able to do the Fxx chassis coding, however he did my old E60 M5, his E39 540i6, E46 325, E90 330, R56's, R61's, etc. I live 2 seconds from the old powder factory and he's not far either.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
M5SSILE is offline   Reply With Quote