Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > Meets & Events

Old 08-12-2015, 12:43 AM   #1
thefrog1394

Name: Dan
Car: 99 323i
thefrog1394 is on a distinguished road
Default Mid-Ohio Acura Racing School

Has anyone ever done the Mid-ohio Acura racing school 3-day class? Looks interesting, albeit a little pricey. It looks like its a prerequisite to any of their open track times. Is this true even for other events hosted at Mid-Ohio?

I've never done any kind of track time, looking for the best way to get started. What do you all recommend? Would probably end up driving the e30 since it is a stick (I also have an e90 335i auto).
Old 08-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
CylonRed
Awesome

Name: Brian
Car: 2001 330i sport pkg
CylonRed is on a distinguished road

The Acura school is only required for their own programs. NASA and BMW HPDE's are not covered by the same requirement.

A good HPDE would be where I would start...
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
Phil M5
Awesome

Name: Phil
Car: 2002 BMW M5
Phil M5 is on a distinguished road

+1

Try a BMW CCA or PCA HPDE. Here are a couple coming up:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...-events-009726

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...legheny-498713
Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Name: Rudy
Car: 2001 BMW 330i
Rudy is on a distinguished road

+2 BMWCCA is next weekend, and there are a couple PCA events coming up, all of which are open to you. These are all good places to get started.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
Phil M5
Awesome

Name: Phil
Car: 2002 BMW M5
Phil M5 is on a distinguished road

Here's another:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...bimmers-430632

Has anyone been to the corvette museum track?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M5 View Post
Here's another:

Yeah, I would go for Mid-Ohio first. Corvette is 3:30 hours from Cinci and a bit tougher to figure out. I don't think it's helping that they are running two different configurations through the weekend...
Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Name: Kevin
Car: E36 M3
fuztupnz is on a distinguished road

Don't forget about events at Putnam as well. great track to cut your teeth on.
fuztupnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
thefrog1394

In terms of which car to use, what would you guys suggest? Do I need to be concerned with the "no visible oil leak" requirement? My e30 is definitely not in great shape but I feel like I wouldn't get the most out of the day with my e90 since its an auto.

Any suggestions on PCA vs BMWCCA? I'd feel a little weird showing up to a PCA event with my old beater e30...

Thanks for helping a newbie out guys!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post
In terms of which car to use, what would you guys suggest? Do I need to be concerned with the "no visible oil leak" requirement? My e30 is definitely not in great shape but I feel like I wouldn't get the most out of the day with my e90 since its an auto.

Any suggestions on PCA vs BMWCCA? I'd feel a little weird showing up to a PCA event with my old beater e30...

I would start with whatever you use everyday, but that E30 might teach you the most about having to keep momentum. There's plenty of other marques at the PCA events.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Name: Aaron
Car: M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post

Edit: Rudy makes some great points above. I would stick to Pitt, Putnam, or Mid-Ohio first. All these tracks are within 3-4 hrs depending on where you're located. Putnam seems like the best track to learn on, but I went to Mid-Ohio first because it's closer. Get a few trackdays under your belt then venture out to NCM!

If you feel the E30 is safe enough for you and everyone else on the track then that would be a great learning tool. No nannies, light-weight, slow, and easy to repair. However, taking a newer car can lessen the nerves for a newer driver. Taking an automatic is fine! Less to think about (shift points, heal-toeing, etc.), and it allows you to concentration on the track itself. Plus, the traction/stability control might just save you once or twice.

IMO, I would take the E90 for the first event (or more), and learn the track(s) first. As your comfort level improves you can venture out with the E30.

~'16 M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #11
CylonRed
Awesome

Putnam Park is a blast - really long front stretch...
Old 08-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
E85MUDM
Newb

Name: Bill
Car: 06 Z4MR
E85MUDM is on a distinguished road

If you have no track experience, it couldn't hurt to take the 1 day class at Mid Ohio as a starting point.
E85MUDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #13
DaveCN
track rat

Name: DaveCN
Car: 98 m3, 97 m3, 09 MCS
DaveCN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M5 View Post
Here's another:

I'm the event chair for that school. We have done two events at NCM so far, and I have also instructed with other groups there.

I want to get as many students as I can to the event, for sure, but if you have zero track time, NCM might not be the ideal place for a first timer. Putnam Park (notwithstanding its penchant for hard wear on tires) is really the best place in the general vicinity for a newcomer. 10 turns with really only one where you can get into real sheet metal bending trouble. MidOhio is a big step up from Putnam, but still manageable for a newcomer - more of a challenge, but only a few more turns to remember.

NCM is a much bigger track to learn - 23 turns and as noted, we are running a slightly different configuration Saturday from Sunday. We did this because we have a larger percentage of experienced drivers and are trying to give some variety over the weekend.

My suggestion - come to MidOhio next weekend with Buckeye, and if you really love it, then consider our school at NCM.

Whatever you do, I strongly suggest you stick to the BMW CCA and PCA schools - at least until you have a fair amount of experience under your belt. They offer the best instruction of the club events out there.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
thefrog1394

Thanks for all the info guys. Tried to make the BMW CCA event work this weekend but looks like its not in the cards this time. Is anyone on here going out to the PCA event?

Few more questions if you guys don't mind:

Tech Inspection. The form for the BMW CCA event made it appear that it needed to be done by an outside mechanic. Is it acceptable to sign as the mechanic and perform the tech inspection yourself? I don't think I've trusted any of my cars to a mechanic in 5 years haha.

Helmet: Recommend I buy one ahead of time? Most of these events mention having "a few loaners". I'm inclined to think its worth purchasing one myself just for the comfort factor. I could wear it beforehand and get used to it etc. Is this what most people do or is using a loaner helmet no big deal?
Old 08-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
CylonRed
Awesome

Helmet - if you plan to do a number of schools/auto crosses then buy one. Generally you can't wear the loaner ahead of time. They generally do not have a lot of them. An odd size can cause me a huge headache extremely quickly.

Yes - I believe you can act as our own mechanic. Lots of the guys who go to the schools do their own work or bring along their mechanic.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Name: Aaron
Car: M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is on a distinguished road

I would buy your own helmet if you plan to do 2+ events per year. Some (not all) groups will allow you to use a motorcycle helmet snell/dot too. Iron Pony, craigslist, ebay, etc. all have cheap helmets if you're on a budget. Having said that, I would recommend investing in an auto-racing helmet with 2010+ snell approval. That will keep you out of trouble!

Not sure about the self-inspection though. I assumed they're pretty strict with the shop inspections (BMWCCA, PCA). NASA allows self-inspection. If someone else has more experience here please let me know as well. Don't like spending extra money on shop inspections!

~'16 M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #17
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Self inspection is ok, I've been throught BMWCCA, PCA, NASA, etc.