Old 07-31-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

Name: Ben
Car: 13 Kia Optima; 997TT
Bmil951 is on a distinguished road
Default Indycar at Mid-Ohio

Is anyone else going on Sunday? My dad happened into some VIP tickets, so we're going up on Sunday morning. Just found out we get to drive in the parade lap as well.

Also, if anyone wants some general admission tickets let me know, he won some extras in a drawing. PM me if interested, we're planning on getting to Mid-O around 9:30. If you're in the Dayton area, you can swing by my place in Yellow Springs anytime after Friday evening to pick them up. They're good for the Saturday races as well.
Bmil951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Camshaft

Name: Cameron
Car: 1994 530iT
Camshaft is on a distinguished road

My father and I are also going. A/C is on the fritz in the Cobra, the RX-7 is on jackstands, and the Porsche is at fat camp so it looks like we'll be taking his car. If a bunch of us are going, we should all meet up someplace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBillyTalent View Post
Just drive backwards and the front end will be fine dummy
Camshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

I'd be down to meet up on Sunday
Old 08-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

Wow, what a day! Perfect weather, great racing, and overall an unforgettable experience.

My day started by waking up my wife and whole neighborhood by leaving the house in my turbo at 0645. It was a gorgeous morning for a drive, and even a rear spoiler fault on the way up couldn't dampen my spirits. Basically, the passenger side of my rear spoiler wouldn't go all the way up, so it was slightly crooked. It fixed itself for the drive home, so no big deal.
Anyone who knows the drive there will find this a familiar sight

When I arrived, I found my dad wandering around the garages and paddock area with a friend of his. His friend is a former GT3 driver for Porsche, and his son currently races in the Pirelli World Challenge in a Cayman. They were walking around shaking hands and having meetings with team owners and managers trying to secure his son a better car / team for next year. It was fascinating to get a glimpse of the business side of racing, and must be totally exhausting for the drivers to be constantly selling themselves. We got some cool tours of a couple of garages, and witnessed the work that goes into prepping these cars up close and personal.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #5
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

After that we headed over to Bobby Rahal's hospitality tent that was located right inside of Turn 1. I thought it was a great vantage point for the race, and there were a few TVs and loudspeakers broadcasting the race feed when the sun became too intense.

The legend himself said a few words before the race.

After Bobby spoke, his son Graham talked to us for a bit about what it's like to race here, what the team's strategy was for the race (pit early), and how much water weight he was likely to lose from driving in the heat. He was extremely professional and very nice, he was more than happy to pose for a picture with me and sign my race ticket.

Immediately after meeting Graham, I had to begin the long hurry up and wait process for the parade lap. On our walk to the staging area I saw Mario Andretti zipping around on his scooter, which was pretty cool. Part of what our package included was the opportunity to drive one of the S2000's in the parade lap. I was introduced to my car, and given instructions on what to do. It was really pretty basic: follow the car in front of you, don't throw your driver off the car lol. We weren't quite sure which driver each car would get, which was fine with me. I would be happy regardless of who hopped into the car.

Well, fortune was smiling on me, because as I approached the pickup point, Marco Andretti hopped in! I shook his hand and told him not to be shy about critiquing my line around Mid-O, which elicited a few laughs. I kept it slow and smooth as to not toss him off the car, and chatted a little with him. It was really cool to drive around hearing various sections of the crowd cheering him, yelling his name, and some booing him. It was a great experience, and I feel like I'm in a pretty small group of people who are able to say that their first ever lap of Mid-Ohio was with Marco Andretti. (pictures coming soon. I thought about taking a little selfie with Marco on the lap, but quickly decided that would be a bad idea.)

After the parade lap was over, I thanked the organizers who donated this experience to The Buckeye Ranch (www.buckeyeranch.org) and started walking back to the Rahal tent. There were some nice pieces of eye candy along the way.

The race was mostly spent under the tent watching the broadcast, since I was stuck out in the sun during the wait for the parade lap. It was a great race. I was struck by how much quieter the cars were at Mid-Ohio than at the Indy Motor Speedway. All the grandstands keeping the noise in makes a huge difference.

The drive home was uneventful, which was good because by this point I was exhausted. But looking back, 10/10 will do again next year.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
AudiOn19s
Awesome

Name: Andy
Car: A4, E55, GT3, 997TT
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road

Good stuff. Get used to the rear spoiler errors!!!. Ours will randomly go up but not come back down. Hasn't given an error in the last 4 months since weather warmed up.

If the one side is acting up though you may need to add oil / bleed the hydraulic system. It's no fun but not the end of the world either.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s View Post
Good stuff. Get used to the rear spoiler errors!!!. Ours will randomly go up but not come back down. Hasn't given an error in the last 4 months since weather warmed up.

If the one side is acting up though you may need to add oil / bleed the hydraulic system. It's no fun but not the end of the world either.
Thanks Andy. I did do a quick search yesterday and found that it happens to most people intermittently. "Get used to it" seems to be common advice lol
Old 08-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
rdorman
Awesome

Car: 00 Imola Red 740i Sp
rdorman is on a distinguished road

my brother and I had a great time. Beautiful day to watch a race at one of my favorite tracks.
rdorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdorman For This Useful Post:
Bmil951 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

Where did you watch from?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Name: Aaron
Car: M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is on a distinguished road

Great write-up Ben!

I had the opportunity to do the parade in my S2000 a few years ago, definitely a cool (but boring) experience. Makes me wonder if the new owner was up there with it this year!. Didn't make it up there for the races this year, but I enjoyed watching the replay coverage in the evening. Good race, but not for Montoya.

~'16 M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OhioRiderAaron For This Useful Post:
Bmil951 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Great write-up Ben!

I had the opportunity to do the parade in my S2000 a few years ago, definitely a cool (but boring) experience. Makes me wonder if the new owner was up there with it this year!. Didn't make it up there for the races this year, but I enjoyed watching the replay coverage in the evening. Good race, but not for Montoya.
Cool but boring is a good description. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but all the waiting around would probably prevent me from doing it next year. I missed the last part of the Indy Lites race, and all of the race prior to the Indy with all of the Gallardo's and 458s running wild. I was nearby for the standing start of it, but I missed everything else. I did love the sound of the Aston Martin teams running, the noises those cars made were glorious. I was also surprised to see that the Aston's were manuals, no paddles to be seen.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 AM   #12
Das Borgen
Off Topic King
OB Supporter

Name: Richard
Car: E36, E38, 748
Das Borgen is on a distinguished road

superb race

But why do we bother doing anything that's pointless. What would Leonardo Da Vinci have done if a management consultant forced him to run a P&L on the Mona Lisa? He'd stab the son of a bitch in the eye with a charcoal pencil. Then he'd go invent the helicopter.
Das Borgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #13
Bmil951
mes que un club
OB Supporter

Yes indeed it was Rich. As promised, here's a pic of the parade lap. It turns out that giving the photographer a thumbs up looks a lot like I'm picking my nose lol

Old 08-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #14
Greenmachine
Awesome

Car: '97 M3/4
Greenmachine is on a distinguished road

Nice.

'97 ///M3/4 sc
'91 GTI 1.8T
'02 GTI 337
Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenmachine For This Useful Post: