Jmanscotch
is a Texan
OB Supporter

Name: Jake
Car: '09 135i
Jmanscotch is on a distinguished road
Default Should I sell 'Thera'...

Hey everyone,

I'll begin by saying it has be an absolute joy owning my car for the last year and a half! I've put 20k miles on her in that time...and she is only a weekend/roadtrip driver

My issue right now is that as a weekend/roadtrip car, I plan to keep putting that kind of mileage on a car for the years to come and I don't really like the idea of a 150k+ mile car driving me to Texas and back. While I know she is up for it with continued preventative maintenance, I just don't have it in me to care for one car that long.

Another point is that I'm young (realatively) and make pretty decent money for where I came from and I like entertaining the idea of owning/expreiencing as many cars as I can before life makes me be a bit more finacially responsible.

So...questions for you guys:

1. With close to 94K miles on her, and lots of good memories, should I let 'Thera' go in trade for a new joy?

2. If the answer to that is yes, what are we thinking I should step into? I've browsed both the ~2007 Honda S2000 and the ~2007 Lexus IS 250 (RWD, 6 speed manual...rare but I've located a few) and like both a lot. I'm attracted to both since they are somewhat sporty, are more reliable/cheaper to keep running, and would bring a smile to my face in little ways.

I'd appreciate any input...but as you might tell, I'm about 80% sure I want to get something new going...just not committed yet.

Jake

Last edited by Jmanscotch; 12-04-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Jmanscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
dantesboyz
AKA Timmy
OB Supporter

Name: Tim
Car: e36 332is e92 335i
dantesboyz is on a distinguished road

don't do the honda... if those have to be the choices get the lexus. think about it this way, where are all the drunk chicks gonna sit in that s2000 when you score a few from a bachelorette party at the bar one night lol. otherwise why no bimmers in the list??? the car you have already has alot of class itself, mileage is just a number, don't let intimidate you if you know it's well maintained. my true vote would be to keep the e46

M3 3.23 lsd full rear end swap, Bilstein BTS, M50 manifold, Kassel Performance Ultimate Tune, cheap eBay headers and exhaust, FX Stage 2 Clutch & LWFW
Head rebuilt by Bob Proffit at Performance Research, rebuilt bottom end and everything else done by me, over 9000 miles strong since full S52 rebuild!

My e92, soon to be Burgerized...
dantesboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
97 RED 328IS

Car: 1997 BMW 328is
97 RED 328IS is on a distinguished road

Agreed but if you are truly looking for something different why not an e36 M3 you can find some pretty good deals on them and if you find one in good shape and well taken care of they can be very reliable, or that being said a z3 M those are pretty fast and look very nice, a guy running around my town has one in silver with a black rag top, deep dish wheels, rear anyway, it is a very pretty car, and that has a bit more class than any s2000

97 RED 328IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
strictlyb
Awesome

Name: Brendan
Car: 95 M3sc, 01 740iL
strictlyb is on a distinguished road

have you thought about an e36 m3?
...well maintained ones run for hundreds of thousands of miles... and if you got a nice example it could make tons of trips to texas and back

in my opinion the parts arent that expensive, and maintenace isnt that bad either... its the addiction to modifications that can get you

there are a lot of fans of the s2k and is250, but im not really a big fan of either but thats just my opinion... most important thing to do is what YOU wnat to do
strictlyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
strictlyb
Awesome

HA! we both just said the same thing a minute apart lol
Old 12-04-2010, 04:10 AM   #6
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
OB Supporter

Appreciate the feedback gents. The thing is...I know a BMW is a BMW and I will almost never feel the same feelings I get from mine right now, but I'm overall ok with that.

I've had my fun with such an amazing car and I've enjoyed every secound of it to be honest! I wouldn't consider an E36 M3 because I would just stick it out with my current ride if I was still wanting to stay in the BMW game.

The reality is, I'm aging and I've enjoyed what there is to enjoy in a great BMW and I am now looking for something on the same par...somewhat, but with less mileage and cost involved.

The two cars I mentioned where examples. I'm open to suggestions, but to be honest, I don't think the car I am looking for is a BMW.

I can afford a bit more, but in the spirit of saving some cash for future investments I would like to keep the next one under $20,000. My criteria is:

-Manual
-RWD
-reliable

...I would take a AWD, or a shiftable auto...but that is about the extent I and willing to go.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
OB Supporter

and to offer more feedback....I am more partial to the RWD Manual IS250 then the S2K...but the price difference is about $5K
Old 12-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
timmay77
My Engine Blows

Name: Timmay
Car: E61 535xiT
timmay77 is on a distinguished road

If you're "getting older" (not sure how old you are) and are at all interested in settling down to start a family, why would you even consider a 2 seater convertible? Just wondering. I had an E46 convertible and it was still even too small for me as a bachelor, I can't imagine how small an S2000 is to own.

The Lexus would serve you well, they are very reliable cars. The back seat is rather small in the IS250, but that shouldn't be a problem for you now. I love BMW's, but if I KNOW I am going to dump a ton of miles onto a car and don't want to deal with a lot of maintenance, I would stay away from BMW's. Acura or Lexus would be my suggestions. I know most Acuras are FWD, but the RL is all wheel drive, you may want to take a look at it.......
Old 12-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
Skywalker
Jedi Master
OB Supporter

Name: Chris
Car: 1999 BMW 328i Sport
Skywalker is on a distinguished road

350z, or a 370z if you can find one in your price range. I have never owned one, I'm just saying this because I think they look great and from what I hear are fairly reliable. Oh, and its so easy to drift in one a blind man can do it!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
truekreation
OEMPlus+
OB Supporter

Name: Tim
Car: 2 BMWs 1 MINI
truekreation is on a distinguished road

I vote Lexus, in my mind I see the S2000 as a downgrade from the E46. Plus the styling is more handsome on the Lexus.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
QtheGenius
Learning to Surf
Super Mod

Name: Jonathan
Car: 98 M3/2/5, 03 540iT
QtheGenius is on a distinguished road

just a little tidbit, my '00 e46 323 has 138K and is going strong. I'm going to log close to 2000 miles this month and I have no worries based on the PM iv'e done recently.

Only buy a car that you can push
QtheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Hinzm3
omgwtfbbq

Car: e36
Hinzm3 is on a distinguished road

I daily drive an 06 civic sedan manual and it bores the life out of me. It is such a depressing car that if it was auto I would have to run it right into the lake.

Go the BMW route, trust me.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
strictlyb
Awesome

^lol
Old 12-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
IMurray21
Awesome

Car: 1999 M3
IMurray21 is on a distinguished road

What about a WRX or an Evo? More room, very fast, and AWD
IMurray21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
OB Supporter

haha, all good posts.

To address some;

By getting older (I'm 26) I simply mean that wife, family, house payment, etc are on the horizon soon enough that I want to milk my bachelorhood for a bit more and buy something fun/impractical maybe.

I like the S2K for the feel, the 8K+ rpms, never owned a vert and it seems like another easy car to work on myself the the 4 banger up front and RWD.

The Lexus would be a little bit more of a practical car...then again for $20K it would have around 60,000 miles on it...which would put me in the same shoes another few years down the road. It also isn't a car I'd be comfortable working on past routine maintenance....to complicated with those electrics and junk.

I've considered the 350Z (370 is beyound my price range) but i would rather get into a G35 if I went that route and the quality there seems to be questionable.

I do like the Acura TL...but like mentioned, I'd likely drive it into a lake...I've only ever own one automatic and I totalled it after six months, thank god. Drove my friends IS250 with flappy paddles and it was decent...I don't think I'd love it for the long run but atleast there is some driver input involved with the shifts.

WRX/EVO are not quite my style. I'm not really looking for something that has to be balls to the wall fast, just not terrible slow.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #16
DeKay
Hardcore ETK™

Name: Tall Tim
Car: 91 318is
DeKay is on a distinguished road

My mom just got an s2000 I can hardly fit in it (I am 6'6")
But do you really want a mommy midlife crisis car hmm?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #17
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
OB Supporter

^ haha, my friends back home were trying to tell me the s2000 was a chick car...I just don't see it though.

I'm 6'1"...so I might fit ok, but it definately rules out Miatas...if they weren't already.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
OB Supporter

Well I appreciate all the input guys, keep it coming if you like but I guess I just need to get out there and drive a few more to get a good feel for them all.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #19
jeim3
Super Moderator
OB Supporter
Super Mod

Name: White Josh
Car: 323ic,330ci/Mini
jeim3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinzm3 View Post
I daily drive an 06 civic sedan manual and it bores the life out of me. I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
My mom just got an s2000 I can hardly fit in it (I am 6'6")

I looked at one when I bought my M3 and thats the thing that kept me from buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
^ haha, my friends back home were trying to tell me the s2000 was a chick car...I just don't see it though.

I'm 6'1"...so I might fit ok, but it definately rules out Miatas...if they weren't already.

I agree I dont see it either.

Miatas arent bad cars and can be great fun. I had one for a few months and I loved it but just not as a DD. Im 6'4 and like with the S2K with the roof up was just way too cramped.

Have you considered a ZHP? Another good car would be a very clean E30 then just mod the hell outa of it. Since your looking maybe at 2 seater have you considered a C5 Vette? You could go with C4 too, put some good mods on it and you'll have a very fun and very reliable car.

“We're like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice,
but the people who like licorice really like licorice.”
-Jerry Garcia
jeim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
AT
Awesome
OB Supporter

Name: Aaron
Car: K
AT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinzm3 View Post
I daily drive an 06 civic sedan manual and it bores the life out of me. It is such a depressing car that if it was auto I would have to run it right into the lake.

Go the BMW route, trust me.

This is the truth. If you have a BMW now, even a non-M and you get anything else you won't be as happy. There are far too many design details and engineering feats combined in every BMW that for any price below $30,000 you're just wasting your money buying any other vehicle unless it's a utility vehicle for a specific purpose.

I'm double screwed. I didn't just go BMW first I went M3! Anything less is boring or is missing feature X or Y, or the color sucks, or well the list goes on.

You have a 2004 325i and you want to downgrade to a Honda or a Lexus for a daily driver!? Sounds like you need to do a LOT more test driving before you make a purchase you might regret every day you turn the key.
AT is offline   Reply With Quote