Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > General BMW Chat

Old 08-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #21
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Name: Gordon
Car: '03 325it
HotDoggin is on a distinguished road

Will you be around Saturday at all? I am thinking that I am going to be doing car work all day... I'm in west chester - 45069.

Can arrange to meet or cruise one way or the other if someone's up for a drive?
Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
dantesboyz
AKA Timmy
OB Supporter

Name: Tim
Car: e36 332is e92 335i
dantesboyz is on a distinguished road

gordon, i know i've been a 3rd wheel in this conversation, so to speak, but anyway, i'm intersted in how this will all sound when your done. do you think you'll have it all in before the underpanels are done? if so, i'll let you jam out to what i have installed in my car as well when i pick up the panel.

M3 3.23 lsd full rear end swap, Bilstein BTS, M50 manifold, Kassel Performance Ultimate Tune, cheap eBay headers and exhaust, FX Stage 2 Clutch & LWFW
Head rebuilt by Bob Proffit at Performance Research, rebuilt bottom end and everything else done by me, over 9000 miles strong since full S52 rebuild!

My e92, soon to be Burgerized...
dantesboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #23
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesboyz View Post
gordon, i know i've been a 3rd wheel in this conversation, so to speak, but anyway, i'm intersted in how this will all sound when your done. do you think you'll have it all in before the underpanels are done? if so, i'll let you jam out to what i have installed in my car as well when i pick up the panel.

At the rate we're going, yes... Long cliffnotes: I got the car running, pulled headliner... ended up tar-baby-rolling into the entire rear trim (with exception of fold-down seats) of the car missing... tar-baby-rolled into doing car stereo while I didn't have to compete with cleanliness or trim... tar-baby-fell into pushing panels down the list.

I have the cad finalized, but I'm having a few small doubts about fitment. I am going to stick it on some cardboard, cut it out, and then "test fit" it onto my front bumper. Close is ok, thankfully, but just want to make sure before I have you guys all trying to fit a non-fittable part. Once that's finished, I'll really get rolling on hardware selection - I am most "stuck" on bolt length through various pieces, as well as what type of speed-nuts to get for the fender liners (just need to measure thickness and how far in from the edge they need to go)..

I will admit - I tried to cheat, and was waiting to hear back about what sort of hardware I need from MM... I am playing like I bought one second hand and it included no hardware.. SHHHHH...

Ideal Timeline:
Today...
Rear speakers in
headliner, pillars, rear parcel shelf in
rear side panels re-glued and re-attached, installed.
CAD Finalized and sent to cutters, hardware selection 80%+ done.
Weekend of the 5th
Hardware Finalized, ordered.
Rear of car wrapped up, move to front -
Kick panel speakers (mod and install)
Head unit
Weekend of the 12th
Ready to pickup/ship (depending on where you are! )

Please don't hold my hand to the fire on the schedule, but that's a good guess.. Things will shift. I need to press and get the skids done so you guys aren't hanging in limbo forever... I hate that feeling..
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #24
00Smurf
Banned

Name: Nic
Car: 13 and a bike
00Smurf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDoggin View Post
Will you be around Saturday at all? I am thinking that I am going to be doing car work all day... I'm in west chester - 45069.

Can arrange to meet or cruise one way or the other if someone's up for a drive?
Saturday I will be around. tpevan is coming up to my place to get some parts off my parts car and help me finish my coilovers. your welcome to come on up.
00Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #25
dantesboyz
AKA Timmy
OB Supporter

no fire, i'm flexible

M3 3.23 lsd full rear end swap, Bilstein BTS, M50 manifold, Kassel Performance Ultimate Tune, cheap eBay headers and exhaust, FX Stage 2 Clutch & LWFW
Head rebuilt by Bob Proffit at Performance Research, rebuilt bottom end and everything else done by me, over 9000 miles strong since full S52 rebuild!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #26
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Smurf View Post
Saturday I will be around. tpevan is coming up to my place to get some parts off my parts car and help me finish my coilovers. your welcome to come on up.
Yikes.. that's a 2.75 hour drive between west chester and mount vernon..

Any chance I can meet you somewhere in the middle at some point this week after work? I don't want to have to worry about shipping... that would be a pain.

G
Old 08-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #27
00Smurf
Banned

Quote:
Yikes.. that's a 2.75 hour drive between west chester and mount vernon..

Any chance I can meet you somewhere in the middle at some point this week after work? I don't want to have to worry about shipping... that would be a pain.

G
thats fine with me. sometime middle of the week good for you? I can prolly do it on lunch too. Just take a long one. lol
Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #28
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
thats fine with me. sometime middle of the week good for you? I can prolly do it on lunch too. Just take a long one. lol
Middle or early... Unfortunately I can't swing a lunch break ...

...mmmmmmonday afternoon/evening? Just going between west chester and mt. vernon... it looks like Exit 56 along 71 is almost exactly half way time wise. (London Circleville Road) - There's a subway on the north side of the exit, and not much else.. hah.

Could meet up in the parking lot there - Looks like ~1:25 drive?

lemme know!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #29
00Smurf
Banned

i could do monday afternoon evening sometime. preferably around 4-5 pm. i'd be coming from columbus though.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #30
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
i could do monday afternoon evening sometime. preferably around 4-5 pm. i'd be coming from columbus though.
That makes it even better.

I only have one issue. I have a meeting today, which if it goes anything like my last meeting of this type, it'll run late and we'll be getting out between 4:30 or 5:00pm. For planning purposes let's say I won't be on the road till 5:00p.

Presumably, that would mean that to reach the predetermined location, it would be later than 4 or 5.. I don't have the authority to hop out of the office just yet..

Could always meet you further south, but at that point you're drivin' down to meet me - Could always pitch ya a few bucks for gas and time?

Lemme know - I'm not opposed to hoppin' in the car straight from the office and takin' off to try and avoid the cincy traffic exodus at the end of the day..

Also - Forgot to mention, but before I forget. When we deal with the skidplate, we'll have to swap up the heat shields as well as the jacking pads -
Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #31
00Smurf
Banned

Quote:
That makes it even better.

I only have one issue. I have a meeting today, which if it goes anything like my last meeting of this type, it'll run late and we'll be getting out between 4:30 or 5:00pm. For planning purposes let's say I won't be on the road till 5:00p.

Presumably, that would mean that to reach the predetermined location, it would be later than 4 or 5.. I don't have the authority to hop out of the office just yet..

Could always meet you further south, but at that point you're drivin' down to meet me - Could always pitch ya a few bucks for gas and time?

Lemme know - I'm not opposed to hoppin' in the car straight from the office and takin' off to try and avoid the cincy traffic exodus at the end of the day..

Also - Forgot to mention, but before I forget. When we deal with the skidplate, we'll have to swap up the heat shields as well as the jacking pads -
Skidplate idea sounds good. Would tuesday work better for you. I'm more flexible time wise. Today i really have to be backaround 6pm. Were having a late office night. Couple.of.big.projects.coming in.

Whats your office? Alternatively if you.want to drive to.columbus tonight you can drive to my office. Ill knock of 10.00 for gas and time.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #32
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
Skidplate idea sounds good. Would tuesday work better for you. I'm more flexible time wise. Today i really have to be backaround 6pm. Were having a late office night. Couple.of.big.projects.coming in.

Whats your office? Alternatively if you.want to drive to.columbus tonight you can drive to my office. Ill knock of 10.00 for gas and time.
I work for: MTSI... therefore, I'm in fairfield.

Good news is that meeting got cancelled.. so, I'll be able to jet from the office around 3:45..

I can do columbus, but it's a 2 hour drive . Are you stuck there for the bulk of the night tonight? or are you able to venture a little south down 71 to meet me outside of columbus?

Tomorrow is an option if this doesn't pan out, btw..
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #33
00Smurf
Banned

I'm stuck here till prolly 1-2am. I could prolly meet down round gc area. lemme look at google maps.

How about 71 and 62. Orient ohio area. it looks like exit 94.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #34
HotDoggin
Spinderella

That works for me, dude.. Let's do it.

Sunoco sound good? (north side of 62/71 interchange)

What time you thinking? I think I'll tentatively plan to jet from the office and change into some shorts or somethin.. grab a tank of gas, and head up your way.. That would put me there about.. 6:00pm if I had to reasonably guess.

About to send you a PM!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #35
00Smurf
Banned

Quote:
That works for me, dude.. Let's do it.

Sunoco sound good? (north side of 62/71 interchange)

What time you thinking? I think I'll tentatively plan to jet from the office and change into some shorts or somethin.. grab a tank of gas, and head up your way.. That would put me there about.. 6:00pm if I had to reasonably guess.

About to send you a PM!
pm'd back
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #36
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Alright...

Got a question about this damned stereo..

First - Nick, you have the trim piece for around the stereo?

I am having some issues with radio reception... there was the signal line for the antenna, but from what I was told it has an amplified antenna... meaning that the small connector that came off of the stock radio was a +12v line..

I dropped by best buy for an antenna adapter, and they gave me one that had the power line built in - I'm not sure if this is working or not... trying to decide if I still need that extra little line with the antenna to have power or some signal or something? I'm at a loss, and don't know who to turn to without having to pay some serious dough for this BS..

Anyone?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #37
dantesboyz
AKA Timmy
OB Supporter

on the harness connecting the new radio to the factory harness in the car try looking for a blue wire and a blue/white trace wire... one of those wires should be switched +12v only when the stereo is one & the other should onlybe +12v only when the radio tuner (am/fm) is on.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #38
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
on the harness connecting the new radio to the factory harness in the car try looking for a blue wire and a blue/white trace wire... one of those wires should be switched +12v only when the stereo is one & the other should onlybe +12v only when the radio tuner (am/fm) is on.
Blue/white is amp remote (head unit power on)
Blue is "Powered antenna" which I would assume would be for either a motorized unit, or something like this...

I have the line from the adapter hooked into this, but I am not picking up stations that I would have with the stockie... and when I do get em' they seem hit or miss.

There is a secondary smaller cable that was paired with the antenna line in the vehicle harness (looked like a very small BNC plug?) that is currently unhooked cause I didn't have anything to hook it to.. I'm wondering if I need to be feeding the 12V through that somehow to power the boxes in the back of the car on the C pillars? (Are these the signal amps?) Like I said... not sure.. BMW made this system complicated enough that I'm having trouble figuring this out on my own..
Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #39
dantesboyz
AKA Timmy
OB Supporter

i think i might have grounded that second little coax cable.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #40
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
i think i might have grounded that second little coax cable.
I may try that... Do you know what that second little coax cable is/does?