Go Back   Ohio Bimmers forum > Ohio Bimmers > Off-Topic

Old 04-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Name: Aaron
Car: M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is on a distinguished road
Default Switching Cellphone Carrier (advice needed)

I'm looking to upgrade to a new phone and switch plans (currently on an older Verizon family plan). It seems like Sprint and Straighttalk offer the best deals but I'm concerned about their data speeds and cell coverage..

What cellphone service providers are you currently using? Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Straighttalk, T-Mobile, etc. How's the overall experience been? Would you recommend them over other providers? Monthly costs?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Aaron

~'16 M3 ZCP
OhioRiderAaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
fravel
bA what?!?

Name: Tyler
Car: '06 330i
fravel is on a distinguished road

Verizon only for me. No one else has coverage that is remotely comparable.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
the_steve3
Do I seem tense?

Name: Steve Hend
Car: 2002 330i
the_steve3 is on a distinguished road

I actually use Project Fi. It's Google's service that uses Sprint and T-Mobile coverage. It's $20 for unlimited talk,text. Then $10 for every GB of data you use. If you sign up for 3 GB of date (i.e. $20 for talk +$30 for data) you actually only pay for the data you use. So if you only use 1.5 GB, like i'll do most times, you get the other $15 back.

You used to have to sign up for the service and receive an invite to use it but it's open now.

Only downside is you have to use a Nexus phone (Nexus 6, 6P or 5X) so if you're married to the iOS family or don't want to switch to Andriod, it's a no go. But a new Nexus 5X is only $199 for new users now.

Coverage is fairly decent, though I'm not in many rural areas so I can't speak for that.
the_steve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_steve3 For This Useful Post:
OhioRiderAaron (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
brett72586
Bored
OB Supporter

Name: Brett
Car: 2004 325ci
brett72586 is on a distinguished road

Verizon only here too. Been too many places where friends didn't have signal or good speed
Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
ECSTuning
Awesome

Name: James
Car: Hover Car on Wheels
ECSTuning is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear Fi is decent in Ohio, I'm debating switching the wifey over to their service when her current contract runs out.

sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Thanks guys. I just noticed a thread about Project Fi on Slickdeals. Gonna look into that option a little more. I don't mess with iOS anyway.

I have no complaints about Verizon but it would be nice to have less money invested per month (one and only provider for the last 10 years or so).

~'16 M3 ZCP
Old 04-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
AudiOn19s
Awesome

Name: Andy
Car: A4, E55, GT3, 997TT
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road

We switched from Verizon to AT&t like 10 years ago when we moved into our house and it was in some weird dead spot for Verizon which was completely annoying.

Cellular service is one of those things I'd rather pay good money for than gamble with questionable coverage or service. We get a discount because my wife is a chase employee but it's still like $150 a month for both of us. We're still on the old old unlimited data plan even though we could probably downgrade our plan and save some money. I like knowing that if I decide to stream a full feature length film while I'm bored that I could.

the **** just works, I don't worry about it and that's how I like it
Old 04-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Thanks Andy. I'm at that phrase now where I just want something that works when I actually need it to. We seem to find ourselves in rather remote places for vacation too so I probably should stick to the major carriers with good coverage.

Is $70-80 per month the best you can do these days? I'm just looking for 3-5GB data allowance with a smartphone plan. Internet + cable + cellphone will cost me $200 per month, jesus. I don't know how you guys do it.

~'16 M3 ZCP
Old 04-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
QtheGenius
Learning to Surf
Super Mod

Name: Jonathan
Car: 98 M3/2/5, 00 323i
QtheGenius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Is $70-80 per month the best you can do these days? I'm just looking for 3-5GB data allowance with a smartphone plan. Internet + cable + cellphone will cost me $200 per month, jesus. I don't know how you guys do it.
Cut the cords dude, do you really NEED cable TV? Damn near everything these days can be streamed. You may miss out on a few sporting events, but even those can be found streaming online. I have 50MBps internet for $45/m and my phone through Verizon is $85, just for myself. Netflix is like $10 a month, and just with that, you're saving $100 a month and go still watch 80% of what you'd normally watch.

I use Verizon for my cell and I do a lot of driving, especially for my summer road rally where I NEED reception for the event, and my co-driver has sprint and it never has near the reception that I have.

If you aren't a traveler, and Sprint has good coverage in your city, I think Google Fi is the way to go, you really can't beat the price. Even on Vacations, you can always use Wi-Fi for connectivity.

Only buy a car that you can push
QtheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
brett72586
Bored
OB Supporter

Q - who is your ISP at 50 for 45/mo?
Old 04-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
Cactus
Awesome

Name: Hunter
Car: '85 528e
Cactus is on a distinguished road

I'm real bummed, I used to have PTel, an MVNO, but they went belly up this year. What was $10 monthly for pay as you go talk and text (I never used data due to Wi-Fi everywhere) is now $30 for t mobile's unlimited data/text with 100 mins talk. I was getting a much better deal.
2014 Ford Flex- Drag Wagon
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #12
QtheGenius
Learning to Surf
Super Mod

Name: Jonathan
Car: 98 M3/2/5, 00 323i
QtheGenius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett72586 View Post
Q - who is your ISP at 50 for 45/mo?
Cox. That being said, it averages around 15mbps to be honest. I think I hit 35 once when I pinged their server. TWC can do 100mbps at the same cost, and I'm REALLY hoping Google Fiber comes to town. I'll move across the block if it means I can get on their network.

Only buy a car that you can push
QtheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #13
OhioRiderAaron
Lazy Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
Cut the cords dude, do you really NEED cable TV? Damn near everything these days can be streamed. You may miss out on a few sporting events, but even those can be found streaming online. I have 50MBps internet for $45/m and my phone through Verizon is $85, just for myself. Netflix is like $10 a month, and just with that, you're saving $100 a month and go still watch 80% of what you'd normally watch.

I use Verizon for my cell and I do a lot of driving, especially for my summer road rally where I NEED reception for the event, and my co-driver has sprint and it never has near the reception that I have.

If you aren't a traveler, and Sprint has good coverage in your city, I think Google Fi is the way to go, you really can't beat the price. Even on Vacations, you can always use Wi-Fi for connectivity.
Actually, I just got cable again after not having it for 2-2.5 yrs. It was great not having it, but I love sports and basic-basic cable doesn't offer much esp. when you just got a 65" 4K TV. We use netflix and Amazon for a lot of stuff, but I've already watched most of the interesting shows, movies, and documentaries. Not saying I couldn't cut cable again though..

Where's Verizon FIOS actually available? On the surface it seems like a great option, but it's never been available in my area.

~'16 M3 ZCP
Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Name: Rudy
Car: 2001 BMW 330i
Rudy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
Cox. That being said, it averages around 15mbps to be honest. I think I hit 35 once when I pinged their server. TWC can do 100mbps at the same cost, and I'm REALLY hoping Google Fiber comes to town. I'll move across the block if it means I can get on their network.
50 down is only available through TW @ $75 here. Cinci Bell SHOULD have high speed, but not in my area. At least it's consistent 50 down.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #15
brett72586
Bored
OB Supporter

i have 50 down twc and pay $50. I test all day at 60+ down and 7 ish up
Old 04-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #16
Rudy
CAPT SLW
OB Supporter

Name: Rudy
Car: 2001 BMW 330i
Rudy is on a distinguished road

Yeah it was $65 for me the first year, then the promotion ended. I'd love to switch to Cinci Bell, but they just don't have anything higher than 10 down at my old or new place.