Marcumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #102
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Name: Gordon
Car: '03 325it
HotDoggin is on a distinguished road

It's been forever!!
I need to post a general update, but I need to get my S**t off of photobucket and dumped somewhere else/better.

In the mean-time, are there any resources locally that have a real working knowledge for swapping something like an E46 M3 cluster into a non-M (and coding everything to eliminate the tamper dot, and correct the mileage that may differ?).. Lots of info on the internet, but it all seems fuzzy. Nothing that I feel super confident in yet.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #103
Rittmeister
Groove Master
OB Supporter

Name: KS
Car: 2003 M5
Rittmeister is on a distinguished road

I cannot wait to see this thing finished.

That statement is useless to you, but technically true.

2003 Jet Black ///M5 - extend right leg, laugh uproariously.
Rittmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #104
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Well it's been approximately forever, all over again. I need a little help, so I'll do my best to fill in the gaps that I left you all hanging with. Admittedly, this is going to be a skim over the top because I have hundreds of photos and lots of details if anyone wants more info about something in particular.. (just ask)

Last the world knew, I was doing boost and stupid ****.. Well, the space under the factory (or even ///M sheet metal) got the better of me, and I didn't want to have to roll a custom 1.5" hump into the E46 hood to make the LSA blower fit.. So the engine plan got majorly revamped.

The build settled at the following:

-LH6 block (Gen IV Aluminum 5.3L) that had the OE sleeves cut out and Darton dry sleeves installed. Final bore was 4.125.
-OE forged LSA crank, 3.622 stroke
-Diamond High compression domed pistons, +10cc
-Callies Compstar H-Beam connecting rods, 6.125 long
-NC ported/polished heads with BIG vales and big runners - heads were milled down to 65cc chambers.
-Thinner .045" cometic MLS head gaskets
-Starting with a ported/ LS3 intake and TB, though I know this is going to limit some top-end power when it's all said and done (I'll revisit this when the budget for a $4000 intake system is in the budget).
-Nasty BTR higher lift cam with a ton of overlap for only the gnarliest performance..

All this works out to give me an build that's going to be explicitly E85, and will net me ~13.5 compression ratio 383cuin (6.3L), likely capable of doing 8,000rpm (though it will probably get limited for sake of reliability and oil pressure woes) I opted to use a brand new Holley accessory drive system as it would provide me the most clearance AROUND the lower corners of the engine - I'm secretly (not so secretly) hoping I can do at least 180° headers, or maybe even something stupid like an 8:1 collector, but the exhaust will need clearance around the front of the crank pulley and down the passenger side of the engine.. Lots of goodies in the engine that aren't listed above to give me better oil control and reduced chance of floating a valve or running out of oil pressure at high RPM/G-load..

Here she is right after I got it all put together (Hoping -

Prior to getting the engine sorted, I actually started and finished the Ford 8.8 IRS rear-end conversion (So much real engineering involved...), installed some custom 1000HP rated axles (that started life as M3 axles), sourced a custom 3.5" custom aluminum driveshaft (good for about 200mph wheel speed and 1000hp... LOL), and completed the full M3 suspension swap.. I also threw in every weld-in reinforcement I could find, added a few of my own, and then included a slightly tweaked version of the Mason Engineering X-Brace for the rear. Sub frame tear-out WHAT?

She's tight, but it clears and should be fine given the trans/subframe motion range I'm expecting..

As of late, I've been working on fuel system upgrades - I am using a 450LPH E85 rated Walbro that I had to stuff into the factory tank sump. I added the M3 fuel tank baffle/reservoir, and had to modify the 'hats' that hold the fuel pump and return line to handle the volume that I am going to need to push to support the power reliably. I was able to save everything except for the small back-flow preventer (check valve) that would only come into play when there was an engine or vehicle fire that compromised the seal at the pressure regulator on the fuel rail. I'm bending my own stainless steel -8 and -6 lines for feed and return, and using a high flow 6um filter element with a check valve to hopefully prevent any "hot-rod starts" where it just won't kick on the first go after sitting for a while..

I also spent WAY too much time doing custom carbon fiber skinned interior trim pieces (no stickers in this whip!) and upgrading the head unit to a new Avant Avin 3.. I haven't had time to really use it much, but it seems super swanky and nice.. I'll be able to watch over the air TV while I cruise to Mid-Ohio... lol

Old 03-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #105
HotDoggin
Spinderella

I've also selected the GM E38 ECM to run the whole shebang in combo with Thaniels canbus solution for the gauges/BMW side.. (I have one of his boards, but have yet to install or test it).. Wiring harness has been thinned out and separated so I can reassemble and loom as I like when I get to running wires...

I'm sure I'm forgetting more, but the last thing I can think of is that I sent the trans out to Texas Drivetrain Performance to do some upgrade/rebuild work for me, and I've opted to use a Quicktime Bellhousing (because I like me feet attached to my body!)... I am using a B&M short throw shifter... though, honestly the stock linkage lined up better (this one will require some modification to straighten the arm back out to put the knob in the perfect place inside the car).. The trans now has the GTO gearset which utilizes triple-cone synchros. The synchros are going to be a key part of being able to actually shift the trans at or near to 8,000rpm without everything gettin' all crunchy.

SS oil cooler lines taking shape - Needed to toss the engine in the car and figure out where the M3 oil cooler ports were going to line up so I knew where to cut the SS lines and weld on my AN fittings.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...qV3lfqmFT6svy1

So here's where I need some help..

As of late, I'm waiting on some clutch modifications but have the relatively finished driveline in the car. I'm working on finishing fuel lines between front and back, and today went to stuff the M3 cooling package into the car. I know the front fascia may have to be modified to get it all copacetic, and the mounts are proprietary to the M3 setup... but I feel like I'm missing something.

I can not for the life of me figure out how the cooler is restrained into the front of the car!! There are 2 fasteners near the top of the radiator that attach it to the side "brackets", and the brackets both rest in the radiator supports on the frame rails as well as get nicely restrained by the screw-in bumpers at the front cross member, but what keeps the radiator from swinging aft towards the engine?!?

The bottom of the radiator just does not feel secure and will not really stay put up against the front clip.. Does the M3 fan shroud somehow attach to the side brackets and keep the radiator tucked in really nicely? Am I missing something in this setup that restrains the radiator Fore/Aft?

...Looking for some help here...

Also curious if anyone's actually managed to stuff 18x10 et33 with 285/30/R18 on all 4 corners of a Non-M LCI chassis... Aannnyone?
fuztupnz (03-13-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #106
fuztupnz
Is a Pen Is

Name: Kevin
Car: E36 M3
fuztupnz is on a distinguished road

Man, that belt assembly is compact. That will free up a lot of space. Good work on the rear subframe/diff. Your extra effort will pay off in the end for sure.
fuztupnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #107
QtheGenius
Learning to Surf
Super Mod

Name: Jonathan
Car: 98 M3/2/5, 00 323i
QtheGenius is on a distinguished road

this is going great. when is your estimated completion day?

Only buy a car that you can push
QtheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #108
HotDoggin
Spinderella

Quote:
Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
this is going great. when is your estimated completion day?
My estimated completion day is about as sure as the weather forecast..

I'm hoping to have it running before the end of summer. Ideally, I'd be able to take the car to LSFest in... September? That said, race season is starting, and the grass is now officially growing, so the time I'll have available to devote to the car is shrinking for the season.

In the home stretch though, all things considered!