Ohio Bimmers forum

Ohio Bimmers forum (http://ohiobimmers.com/forum/index.php)
-   General BMW Chat (http://ohiobimmers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E36 M3 - the next "investment car" to buy? (http://ohiobimmers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11870)

zeitgeist57 03-23-2015 09:58 AM

E36 M3 - the next "investment car" to buy?
 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301568146593?rmvSB=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271807825399?rmvSB=true

So...we all missed the air-cooled 911 market and it's rocket to the top of used-car values. The E30 M3 is up there too...is the E36 up next???

fravel 03-23-2015 01:52 PM

I don't think so. The E30 only did it because it's the first gen. M3, air-cooled 911's because purists.

E36 M3 doesn't have anything particularly special about it like that would drive that kind of growth, IMO.

MrBillyTalent 03-23-2015 02:06 PM

Just in case he's right.... I'll give mine up (only 75k original miles) for the low low price of $50k. Think of what it COULD be worth?

Also the e30m only made what? 500 in the states?

Smokey 03-23-2015 04:23 PM

If you have an unmolested low mile LTW car, then yes. Otherwise not really. I'd see clean low mile cars go up in price a bit over the years as more and more are modded, made into track cars, or rust away, but it won't be enough of an increase to buy one as an investment.

E30 Racer 03-24-2015 11:47 AM

Anything is possible. I wouldn't have thought 928 prices would rebound the way they have...

Fishey 03-25-2015 01:24 AM

Next investment car is any of the 964/GT1 design 996/997 cars.

That would include GT2/GT3/Turbo models.

The value will be increasing substantially in the next 10 years.

Cactus 03-25-2015 10:00 AM

Meh, plain e30s are worth more than I'd be willing to pay for them anymore. I think the e36 m3 will forever love in the shadow of the e30 and e46 m3s. That's a good thing, there needs to be a cheap, trackable chassis available.

David1 03-25-2015 10:02 AM

After this stupid old car pricing bubble pops, then buy. Prices right now are stupid on almost everything especially E90 M3 cars. The Porsche pricing phonomenon right now is just nuts and a lot of people are going to get burned, but the upper 1% buying right now won't care.

Rudy 03-25-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David1 (Post 155543)
After this stupid old car pricing bubble pops, then buy. Prices right now are stupid on almost everything especially E90 M3 cars. The Porsche pricing phonomenon right now is just nuts and a lot of people are going to get burned, but the upper 1% buying right now won't care.

When's it going down, I'm going to need a new car soon!

fravel 03-25-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David1 (Post 155543)
After this stupid old car pricing bubble pops, then buy. Prices right now are stupid on almost everything especially E90 M3 cars. The Porsche pricing phonomenon right now is just nuts and a lot of people are going to get burned, but the upper 1% buying right now won't care.

I can see the E9X M3's holding value for awhile and never really bottoming out due to being the last NA M3.

billybilly2 03-25-2015 03:34 PM

E90 values are falling quickly, The E36 i dont think will ever be a investment car unless its a very low mile pristine kept example, while amazing, it just wasn't that special at the end of the day.

fuztupnz 03-25-2015 03:50 PM

I hope they don't. I like knowing that if I ball mine up at the track, i can buy another on the cheap and swap parts over in a weekend or so.

Besides, with roughly 20k+ of them floating around in the states, e36 m3's aren't what i would call rare.

The only ones that might be collectable are going to be US LTW's, the very few Canadian Eero spec ones, and the rare GT's in Europe.

thefrog1394 03-26-2015 12:15 PM

I think the e46 M3 will be more desirable down the road. For one, it doesn't have that lame completely different US spec engine like the e36 does. Also, IMO, the e46 is really a superior version of the e36 (I'm sure I'll get some hate for saying this).

Uber 5 03-26-2015 09:52 PM

The only E36 M3 that has any collectable value at all would be the Euro only 282 HP version.

Holmes 01-23-2016 05:05 PM

Interesting discussion. As others have said, I don't think that the garden-variety E36 M3 will become a starkly appreciating asset. But there's a middle ground between that, and traditional-car depreciation, where by the time that a vehicle is 15 or 20 years old, its market value is essentially negligible. It seems to me that E36 prices will hold at around $5K-$10K (depending on mileage, condition, state of modifications, ...).

Consider what happened to the Datsun 240/260/280Z (1970-1978). Something like a half-million were built. Throughout the 1990s, those cars wallowed in neglect, and even a decent-condition 240Z could be bought for $2000. But over the past 15 years, prices have been rising. Now even a 280Z goes for around $4000 (or more), and many have crossed $10K.

Mac 01-23-2016 08:41 PM

I think an E36 M3 Lightweight is collectable and low mileage M3s will probably garner decent prices down the road.
The E30 M3s are relatively rare since only 5000 units were sold in this country and it also has a very strong motor sports history since it's the the winningest sedan ever built. So, those factors sets it apart from newer M3s.
911 story is interesting, they are not that rare relatively speaking, even the 930s were sold in much bigger numbers than an E30 M3. Demand must be a big part of the equation. Baby boomers are hitting 65 at 8-10k per day rate at the moment, that probably has something to do with strong demand for 60s thru 80s interesting cars. I think all the air-cooled 911s are in strong demand, water cooled ones, not so much. 996 and 997s are still depreciating and were built in large numbers and I don't think they will start increasing in value in the near future. Yes, some of the specialty models will be collectable but I think the other problem with 996,7 is that they have more sophisticated electronics.

Cactus 01-24-2016 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holmes (Post 158662)
Interesting discussion. As others have said, I don't think that the garden-variety E36 M3 will become a starkly appreciating asset. But there's a middle ground between that, and traditional-car depreciation, where by the time that a vehicle is 15 or 20 years old, its market value is essentially negligible. It seems to me that E36 prices will hold at around $5K-$10K (depending on mileage, condition, state of modifications, ...).

Consider what happened to the Datsun 240/260/280Z (1970-1978). Something like a half-million were built. Throughout the 1990s, those cars wallowed in neglect, and even a decent-condition 240Z could be bought for $2000. But over the past 15 years, prices have been rising. Now even a 280Z goes for around $4000 (or more), and many have crossed $10K.

Interesting idea. A rising tide lifts all ships.

Then again, E36s don't rust as bad as S30s do.

Holmes 01-24-2016 11:15 AM

Good point, about the Baby Boomers. For some reason, American muscle cars (loosely, from 1964 to 1972) remain not only indefatigably popular and expensive, but outright iconic. I too like the 1967 Camaro and the 1964 GTO and the the 1970 Barracuda and so forth, but for a large portion of American enthusiasts, these aren't merely interesting or appealing cars; they're something holy and sublime. They completely dominate the imagination. I wonder if this veneration will eventually pass, once the Baby Boomers graduate from canvas lawn-chairs at car-shows, to electric beds in nursing homes. And once Gen-X takes over - "if" we ever take over - what would then become popular and iconic?

brett72586 01-24-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefrog1394 (Post 155560)
I think the e46 M3 will be more desirable down the road. For one, it doesn't have that lame completely different US spec engine like the e36 does. Also, IMO, the e46 is really a superior version of the e36 (I'm sure I'll get some hate for saying this).

+1 but i think the e46 m3 is already more desirable. Its the last straight line 6 M3 you can buy. Its not HUGE like the newer M3/m4's and its not over flowing with luxury and other crap to weigh it down. Yes it does have some but IMO its the perfect mix. I just need my heated seats :)

Mac 01-24-2016 03:12 PM

According to the Internet the approximate sales volume of M3s thru E46 in U.S. Are:

E30 - 6000

E36 - 33000

E46 - 40000

This says a lot

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

The E36 based Z3 M Coupe which only sold bit less than 2200 units in the U.S. Must be collectable.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - Present , OhioBimmers.com